1937 packard 1501 big coupe - $39,000 (spokane,wa)

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/mead-1937-packard-1501-big-coupe/7757952915.html

I don't know much about Packards and never heard of a "Big Coupe".

Price seems optimistic, but maybe it's rare and desirable(?).

i have a very nice example of a 1937 Packard model 1501 excellent for restoration. starts and runs engine and suspension work done years ago as a start on the restoration. also known as the big coupe everything is there . has rumble seat. motor idles smooth as butter very rare car.

email Michael at: d9f221d6d1fd39c78d9c9b891ca36b60@sale.craigslist.org

00k0k_aFWwNVfhWSI_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_nPhoqc96D2_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00K0K_J6GuCHozK_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

• Like 7

I don't know Packard's well but a friend was considering a restored one of these.  Apparently these big coupes are great driving cars.  This would make a great restoration project but the price is too high.  If it is all there with no rot or rust be found and the body and frame are straight a Packard afficionado might take it as is!

Buy in price is to high for a restoration, Alsancle is correct in saying sort it and drive as is. The 1501 super eight I had would run hot and over heat. Pulled the water pump, and it was just a spinning shaft. Pulled the cover from the side of the engine, and found all the blades from the water pump sitting in there. Expensive water pumps for these cars. Great driving cars, someone will grab it. The 37 super eight basically is the standard eight, 36 still had the 384 ci engine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Buy in price is to high for a restoration, Alsancle is correct in saying sort it and drive as is. The 1501 super eight I had would run hot and over heat. Pulled the water pump, and it was just a spinning shaft. Pulled the cover from the side of the engine, and found all the blades from the water pump sitting in there. Expensive water pumps for these cars. Great driving cars, someone will grab it. The 37 super eight basically is the standard eight, 36 still had the 384 ci engine.

But not the crappy 38 block.  Correct?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

You don't restore that car.  It would be suicide.  You mechanically sort it.

I believe the 37 still has the big eight, correct?

A.J.:

Easiest way to keep these 1936-'37 model changes straight is the 1936 Eights, 320 ci, 1400 (127"wb), 1401 (134"wb) and 1402 (139"wb) became the 1937 Super Eights 320 ci, 1500 (127"wb), 1501 (134"wb) and 1502 (139"wb).  IFS, hydraulic brakes and disk wheels arrived, Bijur and rear-hinged front doors, bumper-end vibration dampers departed.   The 1937 blocks were still good, but the engine was still the old multi-piece barrel crankcase, cylinder blocks, etc. On the plus side, they did have steel-backed insert bearings. 

Why Packard didn't continue for 1935-'39 the build method for their 2/4-passenger coupes they'd employed for the 1932 Light Eight 900 through the 1934 Coupes, attaching a non-folding top to the convertible coupe body is a vexing mystery.  It would seem the most cost-effective way to supply those relatively lower volume body styles by sharing basic body tooling.  Of course, I'm biased, the resulting cars look so much sportier and attractive...

Steve    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3