2011 Lucerne Underbody Floor Pan Paint

Would like to touch up some surface rust on underbody pans.  Color appears to be a light gray with a satin finish.  Car body color is Beige. It is known that GM and other manufacturers have not painted the underbody with the car body color.  Want to stay original by not painting black or under coating.  Suggestions??  Thanks for your help.

Dave Rex BCA 1649 

The color you see is probably a body dip (rust preventive) and it probably does not have a paint number. 

See if you can find a RustOlem color that comes close.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recall a similar situation under my 1990 Bonneville.  As Barney said, it is probably a gray undercoat/sealer.  I'd probably look for a small piece that can be removed and taken to a paint supply jobber.  Have them mix a suitable satin paint for you in the same color.

Thanks, guys.  Am pursuing the Rustoleum route right now with gray primer, then try to spray some clear over that as a sealer. Unable to find GRAY primer in brushing form. Would be easier than trying to spray even with the car on jack stands; but we hobbyists are a determined bunch!!

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Transtar makes a brushable 2K polyurethane primer. I have a gallon of it that I have used for small jobs. It is very good paint. It is designed for high volume shops where booth time is at a premium.

I also have Mar-Hyde 2K that I would not hesitate to brush on or use a 4" roller.

• Like 1

Again, thanks to all.  I'm currently going with Barney's suggestion.  Using some Rustoleum Gray Auto Primer in spray can both as a spray and spraying some into a container and using a brush. Shooting some clear over that. Color is a little light but not bad.  Just want to stay on top of rust that appears at seams and spot welds.

• Like 1

I lived in central Indiana for the first 26 years of my life and remember rust.    Have been in central Texas now for 54 years and the only rust I see is parts people send me from the rust belt and

cars that come in from up north.     On small parts and in areas hard to get coverage I use beeswax.   You don't need much and it will spread with a little heat from a heat gun. 

I like to use it on fasteners.... clean a old bolt with a wire wheel then apply a little beeswax.... heat it and it will spread and cover the entire fastener.    

It does not look as good as a new plated part but the finish is semi gloss and the beeswax is a good lubricant for fasteners.     I have also used it on tools that are showing signs of rust or the plating is 

wearing off.   clean them (wire brush) melt the beeswax on the problem area and then wipe off the excess.     I found a small puck of beeswax at a hardware store several years back and I have half if it remaining after

many years of use.    Just found a local bee keeping supply store and they sell a pound (a lifetime supply for several people) for $16.

The reason for this is for parts that are rusty but paint would interfere with their operation beeswax might be a solution.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I just came across this picture on my can of Transtar rollable primer. It's good stuff. I have a small job coming up this week. Maybe I can write up some details.

IMG_0388.JPG.02ab497e967048599f00036cf0e02b58.JPG

• Like 2