Package Tray Vinyl Repair "Product" question...

If you think the rest of the vinyl is in good shape and will last as long as a repair, go to a new car dealership and ask for the service manager. Ask him for the names of a couple of vinyl repair outfits.  They have materials and techniques that aren’t available to us average Joes.  Have the vinyl repair man give you his opinion as to whether or not the vinyl can be repaired.  The process involves a vinyl repair compound and a lot of heat. The problem with the heat is that it can destroy the surrounding vinyl.  If you have the funds, buy a fiberglass piece from Clark’s Corvair and have them cover it for you.  You won’t regret it.  Better quality than the OE piece.

25 minutes ago, RivNut said:

If you think the rest of the vinyl is in good shape and will last as long as a repair, go to a new car dealership and ask for the service manager. Ask him for the names of a couple of vinyl repair outfits.  They have materials and techniques that aren’t available to us average Joes.  Have the vinyl repair man give you his opinion as to whether or not the vinyl can be repaired.  The process involves a vinyl repair compound and a lot of heat. The problem with the heat is that it can destroy the surrounding vinyl.  If you have the funds, buy a fiberglass piece from Clark’s Corvair and have them cover it for you.  You won’t regret it.  Better quality than the OE piece.

Thanks Ed, but I only want to know if there is a product someone has used that's flexible, vinyl friendly, and paintable to fill very minor, tiny cracks...anyone? 

There are products available but you’ll need traing and special tools to make it look good.  I’m basing this on personal experience. In the mid 80s I worked for a franchise company named Dr. Vinyl “Plastic surgery and other cosmetic restorations.”  😁 I bought a franchise for the Independence/Lees Summit, MO area.  Before going out on my own, I spent three weeks in training. 

Filling the crack isn’t that difficult but it leaves a flat scar in the vinyl.  The real trick to finishing the repair is heating the compound to just the right temperature to use a mold and press the matching grain back into the scar.

There are some DIY videos on YouTube with recommendations for repair materials. Good luck

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RivNut said:

There are products available but you’ll need traing and special tools to make it look good.  I’m basing this on personal experience. In the mid 80s I worked for a franchise company named Dr. Vinyl “Plastic surgery and other cosmetic restorations.”  😁 I bought a franchise for the Independence/Lees Summit, MO area.  Before going out on my own, I spent three weeks in training. 

Filling the crack isn’t that difficult but it leaves a flat scar in the vinyl.  The real trick to finishing the repair is heating the compound to just the right temperature to use a mold and press the matching grain back into the scar.

There are some DIY videos on YouTube with recommendations for repair materials. Good luck

🤦🏽Again, I'm ONLY wanting to know if there is a product someone has used that's flexible, vinyl friendly, and paintable to fill very, minor, tiny cracks! That's all I want to know! 😁

Sorry Ed, but I'm not looking for a lecture, or info about extensive training, etc! 

Anyone?  

• atencioee changed the title to Package Tray Vinyl Repair "Product" question...

Urathane caulk,its paintable and never gets hard.Its used in the construction industry to caulk windows,I use it as a glue and water proofing.Goes by name Sika Flex,NP1,etc.Comes in a caulking gun size.I get it for about $10 a tube at a construction supply outlet.

• Like 1

Gene, mining for information sometimes is best dug out yourself. I found Polyvance products outstanding. Go to YouTube and search Polyvance. Your answer is in the free Polyvance tutorials.

Turbinator

• Like 1

Gene,

Did you do a Google search or watch any YouTube videos?  Lots of information that it not advertisements. I’m most impressed with a product called Leatherique. You might find the 3M product for vinyl repair better suited for your needs.  I wasn’t “lecturing” I was only saying that if you want the repair to look as good as the rest of your car, have it fixed professionally.

• 2 weeks later...

First, it a bit greasy and dirty, so I used a degreaser with a scoth-brite, scrubbing thoroughly. Then rinsed with wet rag & dried. Then sanded w/ scoth-brite, rinsed & dried. Then cleaned with SEM soap w/ scoth-brite, and wiped with damp, clean rag. After allowing to dry, filled cracks with a vinyl fabric friendly, flexible, paintable filler...you can use Angelus Paintable Repair Filler or even Sikaflex NP1 (as recommended by @tenugent)...from researching those, either or will do to fill small cracks, which is what I needed. After filling cracks, wiped off excess to keep a flat surface. Then allowed filler to cure, well over 24 hours. Then, even though both those fillers are paintable, but not knowing their compatibility with SEM paint/coat products, and therefore being on safe side, I proceeded to clean around the areas of repair with SEM soap and scoth-brite pad to remove filler that cured on the surface around the cracks. Btw, Angelus has paint dyes which I suppose could do the job as well and are compatible with their filler products, but I've never used their dyes and I've always had good experience with SEM products and I also liked the idea of coating as opposed to a dye for this particular project. Anyways, then after cleaning those areas with SEM soap, I wiped with damp, clean rag. After allowing to dry, I sprayed with SEM vinyl prep...then instructions say to wipe sheen in one direction. After allowing it to dry, I sprayed with SEM color coat Landau Black... multiple light coats.