door window flipper spring

Working on the door flipper one spring is broken searching around it looks like a spring from 55-57 Chev might work with some bending around.

Has anyone located another option or tried this spring kit. 

Thanks 

Steve 

IMG_1328.jpeg

IMG_1323.jpeg

IMG_1321.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpeg

Image.jpg

From prior research on a similar problem some say the new springs don’t work as well as the stock ones and also heard that they work fine if the mechanism is true and hinge clean, and others have reported the Chevy Olds and Buick hardtops used the same springs, but personally have no direct experience.  

I was looking at Danchuk a number of years ago when mine acted up and quit closing fully.  I tried bending the spring and screwed it up making everything absolutely worse.  I had a spare flipper set and used that spring plus throughly cleaned the hinge area and the pivots.  

I think it’d be worth a try since it’s only 1 spring and the rest of yours are originals.  

FWIW this bookmark helped when for readjusting the window divisions to get them to close better

https://www.eastcoastchevy.com/X6tech/tech_flipper.html

The plastic sleeve that goes over the metal tab gets brittle and is unobtainable near as I can tell and makes a difference in closure. Using a Velcro fuzzy piece is a workaround if it disintegrates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for this link it answers questions. I have invested way too much time in a marginal working door flipper. I wish I could find a good used set if someone has some for sale drop me a PM. 

I bent the spring into place that was broken flipper now opens like it should. I am dealing with the rear of the flipper not closing quite to the window frame. The driver door flipper was an issue at purchase. I have it working OK for now, at least it is up when the door is open. Shutting the door when the flipper is down was the biggest issue when I started this project. 

Reduction of wind noise is part of my project. I started chasing wind noise this last winter with the windows closed traced the noise to the doors just above the wing window. I replaced damaged door seals and wing window seals wind noise remained the same. After more testing I have found no change in wind noise even with the window down. I have run my hand around the outside of the window frame window up and down no change in noise. Do these cars just have more wind noise than I would think.  I know it’s not a 2024 car but it has enough noise to be a concern.  My next step is tape over the window seams and see if this points me to an issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Steve 

Hard tops are nosier than sedans.  I have mine so tight that it is noisiest with everything closed but with the vents open (pressurized air trying to escape).  Opening the wing windows helps along with closing the vents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 195354 said:

I am dealing with the rear of the flipper not closing quite to the window frame.

Yep. From my experience first to last -  1);More force at the tab from adjusting, 2) tilting the wing window division “inward”,  3) tilting rear quarter window and rear of door glass “inward”. 4) adjusting striker to close door tighter. 5) adjust hinges to tip door inward.  All while making sure the window doesn’t bind during raising and lowering or it’s back to (1).

8 hours ago, 195354 said:

Reduction of wind noise is part of my project. I started chasing wind noise this last winter with the windows closed traced the noise to the doors just above the wing window.

This is worthy of your starting a new career.  The blue tape over the gaps between A pillar chrome, flipper and division channel is a good idea and have tried it to help isolate.  I’ve reduced mine but it’s still loud white noise at highway speeds but not whistling.  The gaps on the driver side are all close and trim surfaces flush after much adjustment and weatherstrip, and it’s got wind noise.  The passenger adjustment is as it came from factory and is all misaligned and is very quiet. Go figure.  Opening wing window helps. I gave up for now until next time needing some project to frustrate me.

If you have a 54 Fischer body manual it talks about adding putty/weatherstrip in the upper corner of the body to address wind noise. I can dig up my copy unless someone has it handy.

https://www.hometownbuick.com/1955-buick-body/  55 product service bulletins addresses wind noise on the 54/55 hardtops.

https://www.hometownbuick.com/1956-buick-body-maintenance/  56 product service bulletins discuss keeping gaps to 1/16 and adding some putty.

Rattles - 90% of the HT window rattles were resolved through much trial and error adjustments in door closure, small hidden pieces of Velcro felt, how high until the window stops and all bumpers in place, and the softer ride of radial tires  Not all my window fuzzies have been replaced btw.

Good luck and good hunting - will be riding off your coattails.

• Like 1

It's been over 20 years, but I remember rebuilding/restoring these type of flipper seal setups & their respective quarter window channels on couple of mid-50's Chrysler 300's & an Imperial.

All involved a complete refurbishment, including replacement of felt strips, hinge pins & springs (which I formed/modified from some other similar, but non-automotive springs), straightening & polishing of the stainless strips, etc...

... all ended up working great with precise movements & no rattles.

A lot of hours, but that's what restoration of anything requires.

Good luck with your project.

• Thanks 1