1920 Starter/generator chain fastener?

I was tightening the chain on my 1920 roadster when I noticed the two link pins had no fastener. The mechanics repair manual says there is a fastener that goes here but what type is it? Is it cotter pin that goes through both pins? The manual mentions two chains, I have the early type that needs 1/2" slack and has the two pins.

IMG_20240603_175010355.jpg.aad3910466be0570bf1d6389a0d7ec61.jpg 

Posted (edited)

Mine were very small cotter pins. Because of flexing, don't think I would use any type of wire but if you do, don't use copper. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I figured a cotter pin would work, I've got a jar of vintage pins from tiny to large so no problem there. The mechanics book sounds like they want one cotter pin going through both chain pins, i'll have to reread it again. One pin or two is better than none!

When you put the new split pin in, make sure you put it in, in the direction of travel, so that the end that is bent back, can not be straightened out again if making contact with some foreign object, [ which should not be in the engine anyway ] while the engine is running.

BTW, the latest one I20240606_135248.jpg.f464fbee231bbe8f9c7e6c82b2977f62.jpg got from Myers, has to pieces to each link, forming a roller type action when in motion, similar to picture. Not a good drawing though

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 11:45 AM, Mark Gregush said:

Because of flexing, don't think I would use any type of wire

The pins and the plates that both pins pass through don't hinge and shouldn't flex.

33 minutes ago, nat said:

The pins and the plates that both pins pass through don't hinge and shouldn't flex.

Shouldn't, I will have to tell mine that! LOL :) (Good point, I just don't want to take chances)

That type of chain is known as "silent chain".  There are more variables than what is described here but these are the basics.

When identifying a silent chain, you can consider things like:
  • Part description: Industry standard descriptions start with "SC" for silent chain, followed by the pitch in 1/8 in increments, the width in 1/4 in increments, and the guide link location. For example, a 3/4 in pitch, 2 in wide, side guide chain would be described as SC 6 (3/4 = 6/8) 08 (2” = 8/4) SG.
  • Markings: Check the chain links for markings.
  • Width: Measure the width over the pin heads and the width between guides if the chain is side guided.
  • Joints: Determine if each chain joint has one or two pins.
  • Components: Consider if the chain has spacers or a single oval pin. The shape of the links can also help identify the type of chain. For example, if the chain is for power transmission (PT), the shape of the driving links can help determine the type. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jan arnett (2) said:

I got mine at a lawn mower repair shop.

I've got a lifetime supply now, lol. None of the local older hardware stores had them that small in steel, only brass. Mcmaster Carr had them. Never thought about a lawn mower place...

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)