Solved Webster BM50 honer - What is this? Looks like a welder but isn’t?

You have good detail shots but need to back off and get a couple of the whole assembly on both sides. A lot of those LeLand motors were totally enclosed and safe for use in gasoline pumps.

17 minutes ago, sagefinds said:

You have good detail shots but need to back off and get a couple of the whole assembly on both sides. A lot of those LeLand motors were totally enclosed and safe for use in gasoline pumps.

Here are a few more pics from a big further back. The cover is removable, shown here on, off and by itself. 

63B332FE-F978-45B9-A27A-39E149F74E9F.jpeg

8229E149-1AC8-4960-B35D-333E083D9B9E.jpeg

380280B7-470D-4796-8A96-C3272D83A438.jpeg

225A62AA-22B9-4251-B455-EF0F4D38CB3F.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Looks like some kind of coiler or uncoiler for solid small round stock.

Think 1/4,  3/8 Hot rolled steel. 
Not beefy enough for that. Maybe for coiling wire or cable. 
Looks like that loop would be a guide for wire coming off or on a spool. 

Edited by PAV8427 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Does the hairpin thing on the left have power to it? If so it might be some for of induction heater. Something to be heated feeds from the left, thru the coil and gets wound up on the mandrel???

On 6/4/2024 at 6:39 AM, BlueDevil said:

Does the hairpin thing on the left have power to it? If so it might be some for of induction heater. Something to be heated feeds from the left, thru the coil and gets wound up on the mandrel???

No, no power to that. It’s just bolted into the case. 

Posted (edited)

Foot operated control switch and a tray to catch liquid under the screen are clues to its use. Also, under the motor there is a secondary shaft driven by a belt from the main shaft. What does that do? Does the round thing above the main shaft on the outside have a motion?

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)

On 6/5/2024 at 8:12 AM, Tom Boehm said:

Foot operated control switch and a tray to catch liquid under the screen are clues to its use. Also, under the motor there is a secondary shaft driven by a belt from the main shaft. What does that do? Does the round thing above the main shaft on the outside have a motion?

Seems to me the the round thing on the outside is a dial of sorts to control an adjustment on the clutch fork looking thing in the pic, which seems to exert pressure on the shaft 

3964030D-661C-4770-9637-2C04C48732F3.jpeg

DDA857DE-3CCD-415F-A9DA-C2F4A5283CF8.jpeg

I see a second belt driving something off main driven 'mandrel'. Looks like it is hooked to something not in line with roller. 
Variable drive? If a coiler, main mandrel driven shaft would turn faster(rpms)than wheel that may be driving spool OD. 
And would change speed as coil of whatever increases in diameter. 

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I see a shaft sticking out and a rod to rest something on beside it. Could it be an old rod honing machine?

I think you got it. After reading your message I added “honer” to Webster in search terms and a picture of something called a Webster BM50 came up, a honer. This piece of equipment came from the estate of a family that once owned a car dealership so I’m sure this Webster BM50 honer was used in the service department there. Thanks to everyone who helped out. 

• Like 2

• TooManyCars changed the title to Solved Webster BM50 honer - What is this? Looks like a welder but isn’t?

Ronnie and Old Buicks 2 had the right answer. Could someone explain a little more what this machine does? 

You put long stones like cylinder honing stones  on the revolving shaft in middle and adjust them to the diameter that you want to hone the piston pin hole too.   The loop rod on the left side is a rest for the crank end of the rod.  The foot pedal is for either speed control or and ON/OFF switch.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom Boehm said:

Could someone explain a little more what this machine does?

I've never used a honing machine like the one shown above but back in the '70s I worked in an automotive machine shop and used a Sunnen honing machine that was similar. A honing machine can be used to remove metal from the inside of a hole or cylinder in a precision manner. The shaft you see sticking out can be fitted with a set of expandable honing stones that come in different sizes and grits.

The primary thing we used the honing machine for was resizing the big end of connecting rods for engines. To resize a connecting rod you first grind the connecting rod cap with a grinder designed for that purpose. After doing that and bolting the cap back on you end up with a rod that is smaller inside and slightly out of round. Then with the correct honing stones installed on the shaft, you turn on a pump that sprays coolant (stored in the machine below the grate shown in the  photo) onto the stones and the rod. You rest the small end of the connecting rod on the rods sticking out of the machine beside the shaft. Then with the shaft turning you move the rod back and forth on the stones while applying pressure to the stones in order to remove a small amount of metal at a time from the inside of the rod.

You stop frequently to check the inside diameter of the rod. The machine I used had a dial indicator attached to the machine made for checking the inside diameter of the rod. You keep honing the inside of the connecting rod and checking the size with the dial indicator until the inside diameter of the rod is back to factory specifications.

It has been many years since I used a honing machine like this so it's possible I left out some steps that I have forgotten but what I wrote above is a good overview of how that machine might have been used.

• Like 5

Thanks Ronnie and Old Buicks 2 for the expanded explanation. I had never heard of such a machine but going by the name that is kinda how I imagined what it did. I just wasn't sure.

I think what confused me was the honing stones are not in place on this particular machine. I grew up in St. Louis and passed by the Sunnen factory often on Laclede Station Road. 

• Like 1