41 Super Convertible - Gas tank help

I've purchased this 41 Buick Super Convertible, that hasn't been driven for 25 years. As suspected, it needs a lot more than I thought.   My first two projects are a new radiator and gas tank.  In measuring the distance from the front of the tank to a vertical point down from the filler door, I got 16".  The universal tanks for this model have the neck at 10", 11.5", 12.5" & 13.5".

The placement of the neck in the current varnish laden tank is forward of center of the filler door, and I want to do better than that.  If any of you have replaced the tank on this model convertible and know which tank to choose, please push that bit of expertise to me.  As for the radiator, all I am finding is aluminum or custom made.  Unfortunately, this car has enough modifications that restoration is beyond my reach.  If some of you would make a recommendation for a radiator source, I will be most grateful.

Many Thanks!

Don't know how or why a photo dragged to this message keeps appearing upside down.

IMG_20240527_193821698_HDR.jpg

Ok Neil.... How did you flip the photo.  I flipped it on the PC, and it still came to the site upside down.  Being relatively new to AACA I don't have private messaging privledges, however, if you could PM me with how you did it, and help me hide some technical ignorance, I'd really like to know how for the future.

• Like 1

I've had to learn the hard way for upset photos.  Your iPhone (bless it's heart) encodes photos that serve other purposes.  To fix a photo you need to strip those unnecessary codes.  

• Save the photo to your hard drive (downloads?)
  • Open the photo with Paint or similar program
  • Save the photo from Paint, even using the same name if you prefer.
  • Now post as you wish with no interfering codes.
  • Be aware that "other purposes" for coding has been defeated, but still expect a call from the government with questions.

2 hours ago, kgreen said:

I've had to learn the hard way for upset photos.  Your iPhone (bless it's heart) encodes photos that serve other purposes.  To fix a photo you need to strip those unnecessary codes.  

• Save the photo to your hard drive (downloads?)
  • Open the photo with Paint or similar program
  • Save the photo from Paint, even using the same name if you prefer.
  • Now post as you wish with no interfering codes.
  • Be aware that "other purposes" for coding has been defeated, but still expect a call from the government with questions.

All the photos I've posted on the forum are from my iPhone but I've never had that problem. Perhaps I misunderstand what you're saying Ken (I don't understand most of it anyway) 🙂

16 hours ago, Ken Lobsinger -Rejuvenated said:

Ok Neil.... How did you flip the photo.  I flipped it on the PC, and it still came to the site upside down.  Being relatively new to AACA I don't have private messaging privledges, however, if you could PM me with how you did it, and help me hide some technical ignorance, I'd really like to know how for the future.

Hi Ken:

Sorry for the delay.  All I did was save your upside-down photo to my computer (using "save image as"), open it in my photo application, flip it around and save the upright version, and then repost it.  I'm not particularly sophisticated when it comes to computers, but it sounds like I did just what Ken Green is saying (although I don't understand what Ken is saying about "interfering codes").

That's the heck of it. I give family members who are iPhone cult members grief for the issues they encounter, but my android doesn't.   Actually the photo was drag/drop my laptop's hard drive.  I don't understand why the flip happened or how to prevent it in the future.   If it happens again KGreens alternate program suggestion.   

My experience with gas tanks basically been clean outs and fuel sender replacements.  My friend has a 41 Buick and the metal became soft in 2 areas and that caused pin holes.  After the gas tank clean out said he couldn't do anything with my friend called Bob's Automobilia and bought a tank from them or from a recommended company.  Though it is an a universal tank my friend had very little trouble installing it. 

I have never had to actually replace a radiator.  I take radiators to an old school radiator shop that uses a torch and solder and they determine if the radiator can rodded or has to be re-cored! Fixing a radiator is cheaper than replacing one!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EmTee said:

I don't know whether '40 & '41 tanks are the same, but I saw this thread that seems to claim that a '64 Nova tank will fit in a '40 Special...

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/416372-1940-gas-tank/#comment-2686704

Unfortunately not.  The '40 tank filler neck is connected to the top rear portion of the tank.  The '41 filler neck is connected more towards the middle of the top, however, on the same left side.

• Thanks 1

Members, you are all helping to fill in the missing info in the "Official Shop Manual", and I thank you all for sharing your time and expertise.  Living in the Tx. Hill Country, I am some distance from the nearest parts store that can provide anything but the latest parts, and anything for old farm equipment.  I am getting ready to tackle a few projects on the 1941 Buick Super today.

1. Gas tank replacement.  Do any of you know if the OEM hose from tank to fuel pump is 3/8 or 5/16"?

2. Convertible top:  I'd like to buy replacement vacuum hoses before I start taking it apart.  With the top down manually, upon starting the vehicle the top starts to rise quite slowly. There is no pressure or vacuum on the switch lower & left of steering wheel.  Can someone tell me the lenght & strenght of hoses needed to replace all the Top's vacuum lines and is there a rebuild kit for the switch?

Thanks!

Ken