California Senate Passes Bill Requiring Passive Speed Limiters

California Senate Bill 961 (SB 961) was passed by a 22-13 vote this week requiring that 50 percent of new vehicles manufactured or sold in California must have passive speed limiters installed by 2029. By 2032, that percentage increases to 100 percent.

A passive speed limiter is a system that warns drivers with audible and visual signals when their speed exceeds the posted speed limit by more than 10 miles per hour. SB 961 applies to all trucks, buses and passenger vehicles manufactured or sold in the state. Emergency vehicles are exempt from the passive speed limiter requirement.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/california-senate-passes-bill-requiring-passive-speed-limiters/ar-BB1mS5zz?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=2401e76289474ac89ae33e081fcb8adf&ei=65

Passive aggression?😛

Most all American car brands offered a speed alert/speedminder speedometer. Set it at whatever speed you didn't want to exceed and it would buzz to let you know you had. Simple and it worked. I have three cars that have it.

Now it will be tied into a vehicle's computer and GPS, and will undoubtedly feed info to law enforcement resulting in citations by mail. These people never give up in their quest for revenue, and I can promise safety is not driving this as much as is the prospect of increased revenue.

One of my last statements when I retired from the power generation industry was that I didn't want to hear any more BS or especially nuisance alarms ever again in my remaining time on earth.

My 2008 F150 is loaded with them, and they are always expensive to silence or repair. Now here comes another state-sanctioned bs alarm that overrides common sense driving.

Can we set up a BS detector alarm in the legislative chamber and make it unsilenceable? It would sound constantly anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2024 at 6:18 PM, JFranklin said:

Solve these problems by not going over the speed limit I guess.

I rarely go over the speed limit and when I do its less than by 10mph. I just dont need someone watching over me!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I rarely go over the speed limit and when I do its less than by 10mph. I just dont need someone watching over me!!

I'll also add that I've driven a number of new rental cars in Europe that had speed limit detection and warning systems. One thing I noticed is that about 20% of the time or more, the speed limit indicated on the dash did not match the signs I was driving past. Compounding the problem was that temporary speed limits like work areas usually were not in the database. There are too many ways that this can go sideways. Of course, self-driving cars were supposed to make us all safer. How's that working out?

• Thanks 1