1924 Packard model 136 Roadster mystery

I'm helping out my friend Dave who recently bought a beautiful 1924 Packard Model 136 Roadster. We both live in the Vancouver Canada area. The previous owner, in BC, bought the car in 1954 and restored it over the years. It was a complete car when he found it. On the driver's side floor there is a brass plaque that appears to have been on the car since new. It's in French. See the picture.

The name on it is Achille Edward Parrilla which we're assuming was the car's owner when new.

We think Celestino might have been a  jazz nightclub in Paris at the time. Its address was 7 Rue Fromentin. All this is on the plaque.

So who was this fellow? Why did he use a night club for an address? Why was the Packard in Paris? How did it end up in Canada?

We're guessing it was in the Paris auto show that year and maybe Achille saw the Packard and bought it. Maybe he owned the night club. The Packard isn't any ordinary Packard as it's dressed up with bumpers, sidemounts and special cowl lights not seen on the production models. The cast aluminum crankcase and transmission cases have both been polished. This was all done when the car was new. There is some speculation that Fleetwood might have done these modifications at the time to doll up the car for the French audience.

I've tried searching the net for info on the owner’s name, the nightclub and the auto show but I haven't had any luck. I did find out that the address was a nightclub as early as 1927 but it had a different name by then. I'm hoping the great resources we have here online might help shed some light on this wonderful car’s history.

Ken

0818-drv-alyn-Paris.webp

20240325_133937.jpg

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

...from The Evening Star (Wash, D.C.) 4/24/48. Not sure if the same person but it alludes a European connection. He would have been 23 or 24 at time of manufacture so perhaps still the first owner if from a wealthy family? It isn't a stodgy 7p limo...Otherwise this could be unrelated and erroneous but at least a possible clue for you.

perr.png

Edited by prewarnut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

London, Brussels, Berlin and Paris had Motor Shows each year close together in dates as some of the cars on display were at the same shows in the assorted locations and time was required to get them moved there. There were thick souvenir programs that were very detailed most of the time listing what cars were on the show display areas for each manufacturer as well as custom coach builders. The 1924 Paris Motor Show souvenir program may have a listing for this car. I may or may not have that program, if I do I will look to see if this car is listed and report back here - but this will be on my time schedule and not immediately.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, prewarnut said:

..from The Evening Star (Wash, D.C.) 4/24/48. Not sure if the same person but it alludes a European connection. He would have been 23 or 24 at time of manufacture so perhaps still the first owner if from a wealthy family? It isn't a stodgy 7p limo...Otherwise this could be unrelated and erroneous but at least a possible clue for you.

Thanks Prewarnut. This is interesting. I never thought to check the name in the US. I'll see what I can find. It's uncommon name.

15 hours ago, Walt G said:

London, Brussels, Berlin and Paris had Motor Shows each year close together in dates as some of the cars on display were at the same shows in the assorted locations and time was required to get them moved there. There were thick souvenir programs that were very detailed most of the time listing what cars were on the show display areas for each manufacturer as well as custom coach builders. The 1924 Paris Motor Show souvenir program may have a listing for this car. I may or may not have that program, if I do I will look to see if this car is listed and report back here - but this will be on my time schedule and not immediately

Thanks Walt. It would be great if we could confirm it was in the Paris show. I'll bet that souvenir program is good reading! I'll take one of those..... 

Ken

• Like 2