1930 Buick clutch

Hello again. With some help from the good folks here, I have been able to determine that the car I am seeking information about is a 1930 Buick with a Standard engine. To recap, I have been asked by some friends to help get this car back in running condition after several years of storage. Both the man who restored the car (maybe 50 years ago) and that last man who drove the car have passed on, leaving many questions unanswered. 

What I am told is that the car had last been driven to a parade some years ago, but it had problems and may or may not have made it home under its own power.  There was talk at the time of the clutch being the source of the trouble.  The car cannot be started where it is currently stored, and plans are to move the car to a place where it can be worked on. So I can't yet verify that the clutch is actually the problem, but I can confirm that the clutch  pedal feels very light, to the point that it feels like it is all free play. I did look at the linkage under the car. and nothing looked out of the ordinary. I will find out more after the car is moved, but in the mean time I am trying to learn what I can.

Being unfamiliar with old Buicks, can you tell me if there are any common clutch troubles that might be at play here? In the event that the clutch is bad, are there good sources for parts? 

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

The car has a torque tube drive line.......which means you need to pull the rear springs and rear end out or back to get the clutch out of the car. It's not a big deal. Just nuts and bolts. It is more work than a drive shaft set up. The Buick is fairly light weight and simple compared to many other cars. If you need a clutch disk or pressure plate rebuilt there is a company called Fort Wayne Clutch........best in the business for getting any clutch done. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Buick multiple disc clutches are pretty light, but not like "free play"  probably should get it running first and see if it works. 

On 5/6/2024 at 9:11 AM, edinmass said:

you need to pull the rear springs and rear end out or back to get the clutch out of the car.

Whoa edinmass,  I suggest doing the easy stuff first. 

First, put the car in 2nd gear with a stick holding the clutch all the way down, release the brake, and rock it to see if the engine turns.  If it does turn, you have verified the cIutch is stuck.  If the car won't move, the brakes or the engine may be stuck.  

He didn't ask about a stuck clutch.........likelihood of a Buick disk sticking is small. If it is stuck, running it will free it up, if you know what you are doing. 

I agree with Mark.  Likely a stick clutch.  Happens all the time with 29/30 Buicks when left unattended for any great length of time.

They can be unstuck with a bit of work and lots of heat.

Bill McLaughlin

1929 McLaughlin Buick Roadster

It said last time its was driven, it had a clutch problem. Unlikely a stuck disk. That said, letting the car run at idle for an hour will transfer enough heat from the crank to the flywheel releasing the disk if it is stuck. Only time will tell. 

I appreciate your input. Honestly, I hadn't thought that the trouble might be a stuck clutch. In my mind, it was slipping that was the trouble. I will report back as soon as I have a chance to do some better diagnosis. Thanks . 

Edinmass:

Only wish it took an hour.  Last time my 29 Buick Master clutch got stuck - storage in damp garage over the winter, it took several days of trying, including burning up one of my wife's hair dryers.

Bill McLaughlin

1929 McLaughlin Buick