Where aluminum and steel bodywork meet

I have this area where the steel roof meets the aluminum body at the base of the windshield. It looks like they used lead to bridge the two when the car was built in 1951. This “wound” was there when I found the car in a field 4 years ago. What do you think I should do to fix it? 

thanks!

9DBB12C3-08F2-46A0-931F-71D40722D0F4.jpeg

5E0E0A92-D599-48E9-A1A4-D5F18F44A306.jpeg

I realize this is a problem not many have had to deal with…does anyone have a suggestion on who might offer advice?

Leif,

This might not be a common problem with US body builders. However, many of the late 1920s through late 1930s British and European body builders faced this problem. I would seek out a member of the Alvis owners Club, or the RROC, or RREC, or Bentley Drivers Club, etc. and ask them to do a search. I’ll bet you will get good help. (I’m not a member of any of them, so I can’t help.)

• Thanks 1

Just a guess; but the lead may be old school body filler done by a previous owner rather than what was done at the factory . 

Perhaps a sacrificial anode might prevent corrosion of dissimilar metals after the repair is done. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Lead won't stick to aluminum. If they used lead fill it must be over steel. You can see rust under the lead where it peeled off. Aluminum doesn't rust.

If I were doing the job I would remove the lead where it is peeling or rusty, leave it where it is sound. Repair the underlying metal as necessary and finish with modern body filler. Or use lead if you want to go old school.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As to what you can do about it, that is up to you. You may decide to leave it alone. Perhaps touch up the rusty spots to stop further rusting and clean the car up. If you want to do a proper repair you will need to remove the windshield and that will most likely be part of a complete body and paint job.

Posted (edited)

The corroded aluminum must be removed and replaced. I would adhere it with a structural adhesive made to bond aluminum to steel, commonly used in truck repair.

( The product in the photo could be 'Aluma lead', a type of filler that is plastic with a lot of powered aluminum mixed in.)

Edited by R Walling
sp (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

In looking closely at your pic, I am wondering if the rotted panel is actually steel due to the rust around the windshield molding. 

The rot may have been filled with Aluma lead'. Time to get out your magnet!

Edited by R Walling (see edit history)