For Sale: 1960 FORD THUNDERBIRD COUPE - 352 V8, STICK SHIFT - $13,500 - MUKWONAGO, WI - Not Mine

For Sale: 1960 FORD THUNDERBIRD COUPE - 352 V8, STICK SHIFT - $13,500 - MUKWONAGO, WI

1960 ford thunderbird coupe for sale by owner - Mukwonago, WI - craigslist
Seller's Description:

352 V-8 (STICK SHIFT on COLUMN - COLORADO CAR, (CLEAR TITLE - 89K miles - ONLY OPTIONS ARE AM RADIO, PS, HEATER --- HAS " NEW " FUEL PUMP, CARB, HOSES ---- SOLID FRAME - DIRTY NOT RUSTY ----- EXCELLENT CHROME ON FRT & REAR BUMPERS ----- NO DENTS, VG GLASS - VERY REAR OF HEADLINER NEEDS REPAIR - NO TRADES.
Copy and paste in your email: 5f1e6768c2f53dde9fcc0946b34bf671@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1960 FORD THUNDERBIRD COUPE
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell states that 97.9% of all 1960 Thunderbirds were built with the optional automatic transmission.

'60 THUNDERBIRD manual WI a.jpg

'60 THUNDERBIRD manual WI b.jpg

'60 THUNDERBIRD manual WI c.jpg

'60 THUNDERBIRD manual WI d.jpg

'60 THUNDERBIRD manual WI da.jpg

'60 THUNDERBIRD manual WI e.jpg

'60 THUNDERBIRD manual WI f.jpg

'60 THUNDERBIRD manual WI g.jpg

'60 THUNDERBIRD manual WI h.jpg

'60 THUNDERBIRD manual WI i.jpg

'60 THUNDERBIRD manual WI j.jpg

• Like 6

This is a pretty nice looking car for the money. Definitely a rare “bird” with the 3 spd stick shift. Interior almost looks brand new. Need to look underneath to ensure no rust. Also, I believe this car is a unibody, so there isn’t a frame, at least not under the whole car.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 1

Interesting that Ford went with a column-shift rather than a stick in the console.  My father had a '57 with the 3-speed which was shifted on the floor.

I think there are several reasons for the column shift. One reason is use of the console (I think it was the first in an American Car). The second was Ford most likely used the same shifter as on the full-size Ford. The third reason was the continued development of the T-Bird as a "personal car" instead of a sports car. The first generation T-Bird had a foot is both camps and as such a floor shift made more sense. In the end the floor shift won out and by 1964 1/2 the Mustang had floor shift exclusively, but the T-Bird stayed with column shift through the next two generations.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 1957Birdman said:

This is a pretty nice looking car for the money. Definitely a rare “bird” with the 3 spd stick shift. Interior almost looks brand new. Need to look underneath to ensure no rust. Also, I believe this car is a unibody, so there isn’t a frame, at least not under the whole car.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

Monocoque chassis. Built at the Wixom Mich. plant. Very difficult to repair rust properly. You need to inspect it on a lift as well as pulling up the carpet to check the cabin floors as they are kind of double layered/ hidden in areas. Been many years since I checked one out but I remember the owner having a nasty time of trying to fix the rust.