Intake/exhaust gasket question on 35 buick

Buick35

I'm wondering if I installed my copper gaskets correctly on my 35. I got new copper gaskets and seem to have an intake leak.Dose the smoother shinier side go toward the manifold or the block or dose it matter.Thanks

I really don’t know about the Buick engines after 1932 but the process for installation of the one piece exhaust manifolds on the 1931-1932 engines requires the correct belville washers plus graphite and very careful torquing to allow some limited movement of the flanges / gaskets during heat expansion cycles.  It’s a bit of an odd procedure discussed elsewhere on other threads in these forums.

28 minutes ago, kar3516 said:

very careful torquing

Although the torque wrench was invented earlier I don't think there was much in the way of torque specs until mid 30's or later. Probably not used much until after WWII.

13 minutes ago, 1937-44 said:

Although the torque wrench was invented earlier I don't think there was much in the way of torque specs until mid 30's or later. Probably not used much until after WWII.

Probably should have said tightening; wasn’t referring to a torque spec 

• Like 1

I see in another post the manifold is cracked. Did you check for flatness before reinstalling. It is very possible it is warped, that is why the intake leak.

On 5/1/2024 at 7:03 PM, Paul S said:

I see in another post the manifold is cracked. Did you check for flatness before reinstalling. It is very possible it is warped, that is why the intake leak.

Thanks,I've got another exhaust manifold coming but would a cracked exhaust manifold cause an intake leak? When I get it I'll have it machined down flat.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 9:13 AM, Buick35 said:

Thanks,I've got another exhaust manifold coming but would a cracked exhaust manifold cause an intake leak? When I get it I'll have it machined down flat.

If the int and exh manifolds are 1 piece, or even bolted together, and the exh. is warped it could possibly hold the intake away from the block.