1957 Oldsmobile 88 Hard Top - $4,500 (Thompson Falls MT)

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/thompson-falls-1957-oldsmobile-88-hard/7741480080.html

1957 Oldsmobile 88. All original. 371 V-8 four barrel. Runs and drives great. It has brand new brakes, new wheel cylinders, drums and a new o/h power brake unit. Does not smoke,shifts good everything works. It is Royal Glow factory color. Looks like the right front door and lower rear had paint work at one time. Not much rust, tires are old. I do have the deck lid emblem and a new tail lamp bezel. 406 396-7392

"Needs everything", but at least he's not asking $15 or $20k for it.

(I could live with this 4-door.)

00s0s_avBne5eloQY_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00606_eDIYnuRDhMH_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00g0g_7QoMh6hvWbP_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01111_7dfziKmFZVv_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Quite a rare factory color. I remember seeing a few back in the day. Could be a real attention-getter if someone wanted to restore it.

20200718_134424_b2de7aa697c837387ce418ea2b274a32fcc520a9.jpg

Vintage Photograph - 1957 Oldsmobile by Donna Kennedy

Edited by Dave Wells (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A project just waiting for someone to drop $20K plus into it. The interior alone (seats, steering wheel, carpets & dashpad) will be a considerable expense. It seems like the price of paint, bodywork and that rear bumper rechrome is increasing every day. If the car's been off the road for awhile there's all those little mechanical things like the radiator & voltage regulator. In my mind I can hear the sound of tapping valve lifters..............Might consider buying a 50s Olds already done, you can pay me now or pay me later. Anyway, GLWTS,.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, The 55er said:

A project just waiting for someone to drop $20K plus into it. 

Putting $20k into this car might not be the worst investment in the world. Many of us can still save a buck or two by doing some parts of the restoration ourselves and not every shop in the country charges $100/hour for labor.  You may not make a bundle, but your investment should at least keep up with inflation. 

image.webp.4ce90f700e2b2e08c8c86fd8bfa41995.webp

1957 OLDSMOBILE 88 4-Door Holiday Hardtop

Source 5: Low 4: Mid-low 3: Avg 2: Mid-high 1: High
OCRPG $4,800 $8,000 $18,000 $28,000 $40,000

image.png.2d83b652600e1b2b4cad2d0e4443b383.png

3 hours ago, The 55er said:

A project just waiting for someone to drop $20K plus into it. The interior alone (seats, steering wheel, carpets & dashpad) will be a considerable expense. It seems like the price of paint, bodywork and that rear bumper rechrome is increasing every day. If the car's been off the road for awhile there's all those little mechanical things like the radiator & voltage regulator. In my mind I can hear the sound of tapping valve lifters..............Might consider buying a 50s Olds already done, you can pay me now or pay me later. Anyway, GLWTS,.

That’s one way of looking at it. If you read the ad, seller states it runs and drives great. I don’t think he would state that if it needs what you’re saying. If it is a good runner, $4500 is cheap for something you can drive around and have a little fun with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't quite understand most of the reactions to this car. Assuming the seller is telling the truth this is a complete running and driving hardtop of a desirable year, in a rare color, for what appears to be a very reasonable price. Whatever happened to the concept of a rough but cool beater? Not everything has to be restored or even heavily refurbished. Just add some tires, blankets on the seats, clean it up and enjoy it as is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Certainly nothing wrong with driving it as a beater as-is if that's your thing. I was only responding to Dave Wells' very last sentence in his original post (found between the pictures) that it "could be a real attention getter if someone wanted to restore it". It certainly would be but this low optioned entry level Golden Rocket 88 four door hardtop (production: 33,830) is a lot of effort and many dollars away from the condition of the more desirable Super 88 Holiday Coupe shown in the last two pictures. It may run and drive great but my personal experiences with buying low-buck beaters is they usually need a lot more work than meets the eye just to make them safe reliable transportation. 

• Like 3