Leaking water jacket on 35 40 series

Buick35

Before you pull it apart, have you run evapo rust through tit for a while? It will help prevent the bolts from pulling out the threads in the block. You can fill it with oil after the evapo treatment to help ease the bolts out also. Why take it apart without parts on hand?

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, edinmass said:

Before you pull it apart, have you run evapo rust through tit for a while? It will help prevent the bolts from pulling out the threads in the block. You can fill it with oil after the evapo treatment to help ease the bolts out also. Why take it apart without parts on hand?

I've had the evap o rust in it for about three weeks.I've started it and let it idle a few times.I have a new water cover gasket.It's leaking too badly to really drive the car.  I don't think I'll have trouble with the bolts. Only thing I'm concerned about is the bafflel under the cover. I wish I had a picture of what it looks like. Thanks.

Edited by Buick35
Spelling (see edit history)

It should come apart fairly easy. Be sure to run the engine up hot, and then pull it apart as fast as possible. It will come apart easier if the block is warm. Trust me, the baffles are the least of your worries. Once apart, put a heat lamp on the inside of the water jacket to get the block to dry. You can’t clean it properly if there is any moisture in it. Once disturbed, EVERYTHING in the block will push up into the head and then the radiator………so get it absolutely clean. Use copper gaskets on the manifold. Do not over tighten them. Be prepared to have to deal with a rotted gasket surface on the block for the jacket. Sometimes you get lucky on pulling water jackets, most of the time you don’t and have you unforeseen issues to deal with……and they can be very difficult.

• Like 2

I got the water jacket off by removing the manifold first.Anyway it doesn't look too bad underneath.I found a hole in the jacket cover that needs to be fixed though.I didn't find any kind of battle that people were talking about,no freeze plugs under there either. Tomorrow I'll order new gaskets.

2 hours ago, oldbuicks55 said:

Thanks,I just coated the inside with gas tank sealer to prevent further rust holes.I hope that works for another ninety years.