64 riviera driveshaft

I have a 1964 Riviera. The driveshaft has been gone through . New universals carrier bearing and balanced at a local shop. Car has new rims and tires, Rides fairly well, but still experiencing a vibration between 35 and 45 mph. Looking to buy a complete driveshaft . 

Edited by Brian Rossman
Forgot content (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Brian Rossman said:

Rides fairly well, but still experiencing a vibration between 35 and 45 mph.

This is not the 1st time of vibration complaints in this speed range for 1964-65 Rivieras. People post the issue here but seldom do we hear a follow-up if resolved or not.

I do not recall similar complaints on the crude 1963 Propeller Shafts, even those that were shortened for transmission swaps.

As for this situation, try unbolting at the pinion yoke, rotate 180 degrees and re-attach followed by a test drive.

Perhaps this is not a balance issue as it appeared in previous posts. Maybe shaft angles? After 60 years, maybe the required shims under the center support bearing was left out? Perhaps a 1963 center support bearing was used in your Rivieras past? 1963 has a different height.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, XframeFX said:

This is not the 1st time of vibration complaints in this speed range for 1964-65 Rivieras. People post the issue here but seldom do we hear a follow-up if resolved or not.

I do not recall similar complaints on the crude 1963 Propeller Shafts, even those that were shortened for transmission swaps.

As for this situation, try unbolting at the pinion yoke, rotate 180 degrees and re-attach followed by a test drive.

Perhaps this is not a balance issue as it appeared in previous posts. Maybe shaft angles? After 60 years, maybe the required shims under the center support bearing was left out? Perhaps a 1963 center support bearing was used in your Rivieras past? 1963 has a different height.

I will check shaft angles . Let you know how I made out. Thanks. 

I have a '64 and experienced this exact same thing about a year or so ago. I changed the center support bearing and had the drive shaft "balanced" two or three times by reputable shops. I tried everything and it still persisted. As a last-ditch effort, I finally broke down and bought a used drive shaft from Steve Lorenzen hoping to solve the problem and sure enough that fixed the problem. While comparing my original drive shaft and the used/new to me drive shaft I discovered that the double cardan joint at the pinon yoke may have been the problem. This joint needs to pivot from freely side to side like a teetertotter and should never be locked out in a neutral position. Mine however was getting "locked out" in the neutral position, thus causing the problem.

That's what seemed to be my problem but I could be wrong. I'm a novice here.

Thanks,

Robert

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MY64RIVIERA said:

While comparing my original drive shaft and the used/new to me drive shaft I discovered that the double cardan joint at the pinon yoke may have been the problem. This joint needs to pivot from freely side to side like a teetertotter and should never be locked out in a neutral position. Mine however was getting "locked out" in the neutral position, thus causing the problem.

Ah, a follow-up, Thanks Robert!

Could be a common theme? The 1963 Riviera has a conventional U-Joint there.

I have a 1964 Drive Shaft assembly which is a core. Badly worn! Unreal how during manufacture they tacked-on a substantial lump of balance weights, four! QC back in 1964 should've failed the rear section and scrapped.

Took this image just now and yes, the rear flange is locked. Notice trim balance weights. Not a Trim Balance. More like correction weights for faulty manufacture!

image.png.5f91d925859d86c0fa5d2a3347a5581e.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2024 at 3:07 PM, RivNut said:

When you had your driveshafts rebuilt did you look in your service manual for the proper phasing.  If I remember correctly, it’s something like 105 degrees.

67 1/2° yes

On 4/19/2024 at 3:07 PM, RivNut said:

When you had your driveshafts rebuilt did you look in your service manual for the proper phasing.  If I remember correctly, it’s something like 105 degrees.

Driveshaft angles should cancel from what I read. Front shaft is 2 degrees down and rear shaft is 1° up. It looks like a shim of about .130 would make it 1.5 down and 1.5 up. Anyhow going to try it tomorrow . If that doesn't work going to try and find another driveshaft.

On 4/19/2024 at 5:03 PM, MY64RIVIERA said:

I discovered that the double cardan joint at the pinon yoke may have been the problem.

If this is a common theme for many, why not someone doing a write-up worthy enough for inserting into the  Riview?