Looking for original looking 1920s patterned cardboard interior door panel material.

PWN

Painted patterned cardboard, no fabric. I am sure many cars had this over the interior doors, mines a 1922 Chandler Royal Dispatch.

I guess I am going to repair the damaged ones with a modern cardboard back for stabilization. But would like to know if the material is available and what folks do when their door panels are shot.

There is a painted "cowlboard available in several different colors. It's About 1/8 in. thick and has an embossed grain pattern on the colored side. It can be repainted in any color. It's 39" x 65" and can be bought through Restoration Specialties in PA. They will send samples if asked. Their no. is 814-467-9842. They also have a black door panel material in 39"x65" and 32"x 48" but it's smooth on both sides. Hope this helps.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jpage said:

There is a painted "cowlboard available in several different colors. It's About 1/8 in. thick and has an embossed grain pattern on the colored side. It can be repainted in any color. It's 39" x 65" and can be bought through Restoration Specialties in PA. They will send samples if asked. Their no. is 814-467-9842. They also have a black door panel material in 39"x65" and 32"x 48" but it's smooth on both sides. Hope this helps.

Thank you, I give them a try and report back what I find.

38 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

I don't think too many door panels were just this type of material, they were usually covered with something. Trucks may have been an exception.

My 22 Chandler was, and it was about $2,100 new.  I have the originals. I'll get some pictures.

• Like 2

Model A and model T Fords have panels like that, although the only remaining source of which I am aware uses (I think) a cardboard backer with a textured vinyl layer over top.  But I also think they do custom orders, so maybe they could make exactly what you want. They are called Classtique Upholstery in Lindstrom, Minnesota. 

• Like 1