Electric Headlight Cover Conversion for 1967 Mercury Cougar

clipperfan

Hi all!

I purchased an electric headlight conversion kit # 914015 for my 1967 Mercury Cougar.   The kit has left and right replacement actuators along with wire looms that connect to each side.  The problem is that there are no installation instructions.  I contacted the seller who basically said the kit came from China and they don't speak or write in English so take the kit to a professional installer and let them install it.

That struck me as strange to say the least so I thought the AACA community might be able to help - you're were great on my other ride a 1940 Buick Special when i was trying to get it started about a year ago.

I'm ok with installing the actuators the question is how to connect the 3 wires from the junction box - one Red, one Black and the final Blue wire which I'm struggling with.  I'm assuming the Red goes to the battery and Black to ground the question is the blue wire. 

See attached photos - I believe this kit was also used on similar year Chevy Corvettes and perhaps other models.

I would appreciate any input you can provide!

Thanks

Clipperfan

1940 Buick Special

electric headlight system.jpg

controller box with 3 wires eminating Red, Black and Blue.jpg

The video Terry posted shows one way to do it. It confirmed what I was thinking.  Red to Battery Positive, Black to Chassis ground and blue to trigger the open/close. It appears that when the blue wire receives +12 volts the doors open and when the +12 volts is removed from the blue wire they close.  I WOULD test this on the bench before installing just to make sure. Not being familiar with your car I will leave it to you to find a source for the +12 volts when the headlights are turned on.

Good Luck with the project.

Thanks All

I was a little worried about putting 12V to the blue wire since I will already sending the red wire to the battery.

watched the video - the blue wire is attached to the high beam switch 

I think I will take Robin's suggestion to try to check out the connections on the bench before doing anything - if 12 volts works I'll probably add an under dash switch 

Thanks again

Jim

Clipperfan 

@clipperfan, just for ease of use and to avoid mounting another switch, I would hook the blue wire to either the light or dimmer switch or even easier would be to hook it to the parking light +12 volt wire. the only drawback to the parking light connection is that the headlight covers would open even if you only had the light switch in the parking position. I don't know about you, but I almost never use parking lights only.

I think you want them to open whenever the lights are switched on so the connection to the feed on the dimmer switch is the way to go. I wouldn't put another switch.  

• Like 1

Hi

I agree with you on the additional switch - but I gave the car to my son years ago when he made Eagle Scout who has it in Ohio (I'm in CA) anyway I was thinking the vacuum headlight cover system had a diaphragm that I figure had to get a signal from the light switch - presumably 12V - the same 12V that went to the dimmer switch

So when my son opens his Birthday gift box I'm going to ask him to check the diaphragm feed wire first to see if 12V is available when the lights are turned on.  If so, that's the way we will go - if not, it's back to the dimmer switch.

Thanks for your help!

Clipperfan

1940 Buick 

Alex's 1967 Cougar.JPG

• Like 2

My Marquis might be different, but the headlight switch itself has vacuum outlets which go to the headlight doors.  Nothing electrical goes to them.