Senior 6 carburettor size

So I’m posting this for Ron because Doug and I had him barred from posting for using Phillips head screws somewhere. 

No not really he is just unable to post on the forum at the moment. 

Message from Ron. 

Hello 2249 Senior 6 owners I have a Stromberg UX2 carby on my Senior  This carby replaced the TX2 that were the first ones fitted to the engine What I need to know is what is the size of the venturi on the correct UX2 that is fitted to the engine Maybe Carb King can help  

The long answer:

The original Senior 6 was equipped with a Stromberg TX-2, with a 1 3/32 venturi (largest venturi Stromberg put in the TX-2).

THE CARBURETOR WAS TOO SMALL!

Stromberg also found that the 1 3/32 venturi was TOO LARGE FOR THE THROTTLE BORE OF THE TX-2, impacting the vacuum signal.

The largest venturi I have found in the UX-2 is 1 1/16 (same throttle bore as the TX-2).

VERY EARLY in the life of the Senior 6, the TX-2 was replaced by the UX-3 with a 1 1/8 inch venturi. As the UX-3 has a larger throttle bore, the venturi could also be larger.

Jon

After going through three TX2s and a UX3 on my car and having all of them succumb to pot metal disease, I finally gave up and went with a Carter BB1. On many tours over the last 7 years it has worked great with no problems.

• Like 1

The TX-2 is what is referred to as an S.A.E. size 2 carburetor.

The S.A.E. size 2 carbs were listed as being a "nominal" 1 1/4 inch carburetor.

This terminology confused some early documentationalists.

I don't have a good one to measure, but most Stromberg size 2 carbs have a 1 and 7/16 inch throttle bore.

The size 3 would be 1 11/16 inches.

The Carter BB-1 289s or later 289sd both have 1 1/16 inch venturii.

As all BB-1 Carters are straight flange, either would require a cross-flange adapter.

Jon

Ron’s pics he sent me today 

Pic 1 My carby Pic 2 UX 3 and UX2 showing the flang size  Pic 3 the other UX2 base that is 15/16 venturi  It looks like Jon has answered my guestion about which is the correct venturi size for my engine 

image000000.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

image000002.jpeg