1968 Volvo, not mine.

1 hour ago, Leif in Calif said:

The first P1800s were built by Jensen in England because Volo lacked capacity. 

As far as I know (and I live near the Volvo factories), the bodies were built in Scotland and then finished by Jensen in the UK.

if these cars are still in reasonable condition and complete then $8000 is not expensive.

If they were in Belgium, I would buy them all.

• Like 3

There was a time when I would have given anything for a P1800. Really! Unfortunately I didn't have anything to give and now when I could have one I couldn't get in or out of it. Appeal wise I thought they had the MG's and Triumphs beat all to heck. Performance wise probably not. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fossil said:

There was a time when I would have given anything for a P1800. Really! Unfortunately I didn't have anything to give and now when I could have one I couldn't get in or out of it. Appeal wise I thought they had the MG's and Triumphs beat all to heck. Performance wise probably not. 

You would be amazed at the performance of the Volvo, don't forget that Volvo has a rich history in rallying.

• Like 2

I have never owned one, { P1800's , I have owned several 240's } but I have driven a fair number of them. The shop I worked at in the 1980's was mostly a British car shop, but we did work on Volvo's quite a bit as well. I always found the general road feel of these to be somewhat disappointing . Very closely related to a Volvo 122 or 123 sedan. Somewhat lighter so the acceleration is better, and a slightly lower center of gravity, but otherwise they feel very similar . 

They are all nice cars, but as a sports car the P1800 just falls a bit short in my opinion. On the other hand, as a sedan a 122 or 123 is a pretty decent choice. With all 3 rust is the killer. 

A 123 GT with B 21 engine is a really great combination. A few of them in my area, very desirable . But a bit of a hot rod so possibly best not mentioned on here except in passing.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

With properly adjusted SU carburetors they are very good these P1800 Volvo's.

My experience is that only few mechanics can make the correct adjustment.

Same for the Jaguars I'm working on.

• Like 1

I actually find SU's quite easy to deal with. But I have been involved with them since the mid 1970's. On a highly modified engine it is hard to find the right needle without quite a bit of trial and error. A chassis dynamometer and a gas analyzer make it a lot easier. In these cases many people just substitute a Weber for the SU's. Easier to get running correctly on a heavily modified engine.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

I actually find SU's quite easy to deal with. But I have been involved with them since the mid 1970's. On a highly modified engine it is hard to find the right needle without quite a bit of trial and error. A chassis dynamometer and a gas analyzer make it a lot easier. In these cases many people just substitute a Weber for the SU's. Easier to get running correctly on a heavily modified engine.

With Weber you need different jets to adjust the mixture, so it is less easy to adjust, while with the SU you can adjust the height of the needle in the jet tube, which in my opinion is better.

Once you have the correct jet tube for the weber then that is a good carburetor but the Dellorto is better because you have control options that weber does not have.

I agree with what you have said, but I was mentioning Weber's strictly in the context of modified engines. With a stock engine the factory has done the hard part for you . They have selected the needle that best suits the output of the engine and the weight of the vehicle. All you have to do is adjust to best position during the tuning process. On most of the older ones you actually adjust the height of the jet tube up or down. The needle has a specific height in the piston and isn't moved once it is installed.

But on a modified engine there is a good chance you are going to have to change the needle to one more suited to the new power output and RPM band of the modified engine.  There is a wide range of needles available for SU carb's and selecting one to match the modified engine can be very time consuming.

Weber's are  more of a known device in racing and modified engine circles. Most tuners will have on hand a range of jet's and emulsion tubes . I have worked with both quite a bit in the past. Unfortunately I no longer have access to a chassis dyno without paying the going rate at a shop. Trial and error by plug chops is tedious and not nearly as accurate as a gas meter and dyno but that is what even top racing teams did up to about the early 1960's . 

2 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

I agree with what you have said, but I was mentioning Weber's strictly in the context of modified engines. With a stock engine the factory has done the hard part for you . They have selected the needle that best suits the output of the engine and the weight of the vehicle. All you have to do is adjust to best position during the tuning process. On most of the older ones you actually adjust the height of the jet tube up or down. The needle has a specific height in the piston and isn't moved once it is installed.

But on a modified engine there is a good chance you are going to have to change the needle to one more suited to the new power output and RPM band of the modified engine.  There is a wide range of needles available for SU carb's and selecting one to match the modified engine can be very time consuming.

Weber's are  more of a known device in racing and modified engine circles. Most tuners will have on hand a range of jet's and emulsion tubes . I have worked with both quite a bit in the past. Unfortunately I no longer have access to a chassis dyno without paying the going rate at a shop. Trial and error by plug chops is tedious and not nearly as accurate as a gas meter and dyno but that is what even top racing teams did up to about the early 1960's . 

I have already looked for tuning sets for the webbers, but apparently they are no longer for sale. I have several Alfa Romeo's in customer service.

About the Su's ; I've been in the UK by the Burlen company.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Yes, I suppose Weber wants you to buy them jet by jet these days. More profit. You need to look for someone retiring from the tuning business and buy up their stock.

You won't find them in Belgium.

the young generation doesn't even know what a carburetor is anymore.

With us you are not actually allowed to change the power of the engine. In the event of a serious accident, the insurance company can have it checked whether everything is still original ,if not then they can refuse to pay for the damage.

That is why you will hardly find any garages that have tuning sets for the carburetors, and it has been more than 25 years since there were carburetors on cars.

As you indicate, the same jets, etc., were simply ordered if a carburetor had a problem with it. the correct size is printed on the jet.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 8:56 AM, 1912Staver said:

About 20 years ago, one of my sons bought a clapped out and slightly rusty 122 for $500. It ran but not well, and once it was up to temperature absolutely would not start. You had to let it sit for a half hour.

My brother-in-law put himself through engineering school working in a Volvo garage in the 60s and he attacked the SUs with his Swiss army knife, curing it in about 5 minutes. 

The son left the darn car with me, so I took it to a local Volvo "recycler". They guy said he didn't want it, too much rust.

I was so MAD! Turned down by a junk yard! Eventually it got a rattle can paint job and resold for $500. KIDS! 

• Like 2