1927 Buick standard 27 order of operations help please

Slawnski

As I’m assembling the engine- I have a question: is there any reason I shouldn’t put the front gear cover and front housing on before the generator goes in? Or is there anything else I need to consider before they get installed?  I’d like to use sealant  on the front cover at very least- in order for that to happen the top cover will need to go on first. I’ll use sealant there as well. I’d rather not seal these two covers and find out later I need to remove one or both.  I don’t see an issue installing both of these with gaskets and sealant now but figured I’d ask. 

IMG_3363.jpeg.1214084234fec117ceec140578cb3c1b.jpeg

Edited by Slawnski
Sleeping errors (see edit history)

Looks like that gasket would be for replacing just that cover where it sits against the front cover.

I’ll put on one complete gasket - also in the set. 

I suppose if you were in a situation where you were just replacing that top cover you could use that portion of a gasket to reseal the cover not sure that exactly makes sense but I’m guessing that’s why they included that gasket in the set? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

There should be timing marks on the generator gear to match up with the cam gear. The 1927 Shop Manual will show this along with the timing proceedure..

I have the timing set- I’d like to put the cover and the cap on as well as sealing the gaskets as I go with gasket sealant to aid in the prevention of leaks. I just don’t know of any reason to get back in the cover or to have to remove the top cover as I go forward with the restoration process. 

I think you can put the cover on anyime. Maybe check that the cover doesn't clamp down on the generator.  As Dibarlaw says they have marks on the generator but I don't know why. They aren't really revelant. 

• Thanks 1

I didn’t realize the generator gear has a timing mark. I initially misread dibarlaws response- apologies.  

It doesn’t seem to matter where it engages with the drive gear with relation to anything else- right? 

The top cover doesn’t clamp onto the generator mounting hole so that should be ok.  I’m hoping to get the engine out of the stand and into the mobile cart I’m making so I can get transmission, generator, water pump, intake, exhaust ect installed and together as they will be in the car. I’d rather not have everything scattered  in boxes for months while the chassis is worked on. But also not a fan of 3 steps forward 2 steps back. Thus this question. Thanks to both of you for your replies. 

• Like 1

Jim, 

After setting the engine on #1 TDC and verifying the engine marks, I used the tip of a drill to mark the tooth on the back side of the camshaft gear that aligns with the generator gear mark.  If I have to pull the generator for any reason, I can line the marks back up and I do not have to reset or check the ignition timing.   It saves some time and effort.  All the factory marks were set up working from the front of the engine.  Timing notes are from the 1925 Buick Standard manual.     Hugh    

IMG_70731TDCignitionfiring.JPG.83b062230498b6dfd939a685fae07e6d.JPGtiming1925BuickStandard-54T-18T-27TMaster60T-20T-30T.jpg.217df963a2fea11ac26741b76d2986dd.jpg

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hugh,

That makes sense- I forgot the distributor / timing is at the rear of the generator and would need to be timed correctly upon installation. I figured that just putting everything together without consideration for things occurring many steps in the future could cause me grief. I just couldn’t put my finger on what I was potentially missing. Now I got it. Glad I asked- thanks for the explanation and the manual pics for reference. 

• Like 2

Hubert is right about the marks. Only thing is...You can set the distributor anywhere you want, generator timed or not.  There is a nut on the bottom of the dist that when loostened allows the dist shaft to turn freely. 

So.. I don't quite know the use of the marks, unless the factory had a quick setup preset of some kind. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Setting my timing gears to TDC will tell me where my flywheel orients as well- correct? I marked the hub and flywheel before I removed them- but if I didn’t I could have used the timing mark on the flywheel to know where it gets mounted provided the timing gears were aligned. 

I'm not sure if timing marks are at top dead center. They likely are. you can easily check by looking where crank is.  Flywheel must be installed when 1 and 6 are at TDC. and the mark in the window.  

It seems to me one engine i worked on that the timing marks lined up with the crank not at tdc.  It's been a while. 

• Like 2

Hugh,

I have some reading to do!  I was driving myself nuts trying to correlate the marks with TDC. I was at a point where I had to walk away tonight before reading your post.

I did not remove crank or cam on this engine- I have to trust it was correct when I bought the car, and go from there. I did make marks on each gear at TDC before I took the engine components off as I did not see any marking in the gears at that time. This only added to the confusion when I found the factory marks- really had me scratching my head and doubting myself 

see photo. Red indicates my marks- at TDC. Blue are factory marks. IMG_3365.jpeg.779808452430e0a742469661f2b05ae6.jpeg

• Like 1

looking good. The holes on the gasket may not really be off. Some of those front parts are fitted to the engine and don't swap with another without mods. 

• Thanks 1

Clutch fork and throw out bearing installed

I forgot I  needed to paint the pulley  - I need that to make sure the seal on the cover is centered when I put the cover back on tomorrow or Friday. Picking away a little at a time  IMG_3387.jpeg.9ca6695be6f9953ea0271ec3463326d0.jpeg

• Like 1

Before assembly of the transmission to engine check the pilot bushing clearance in the the end of the crankshaft. I am sure some of my clutch chatter originates from mine being too loose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Before assembly of the transmission to engine check the pilot bushing clearance in the the end of the crankshaft. I am sure some of my clutch chatter originates from mine being too loose.

Thank you- Good call. I don’t recall the shape of the bushing or even whether or not a bearing can be installed ( I have a pilot bearing in my pile of parts) Only one photo of that bushing in my disassembly photos IMG_3390.png.09db3488ccc9eedb330eb6431b25a79e.png

Pulley seal and front cover installed tonight. Very briefly considered using the felt “gasket” at the pulley- thought better of it and put the modern seal in. 

IMG_3396.jpeg.a2eeaa673822a49cbbc96d6547b8b1eb.jpeg

IMG_3397.jpeg.87b2b47519d275f53d1d99ad2757427c.jpegIMG_3398.jpeg.a4a14f4b0b326e8560412937935eeaab.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/7/2024 at 9:27 AM, dibarlaw said:

Thank you- Good call. I don’t recall the shape of the bushing or even whether or not a bearing can be installed ( I have a pilot bearing in my pile of parts) Only one photo of that bushing in my disassembly photos IMG_3390.png.09db3488ccc9eedb330eb6431b25a79e.png

I installed the flywheel tonight. I’m pretty sure it’s oriented correctly. With cylnder 1at TDC- here is there the timing mark is at in the window- is this correct? Just checking before I torque down the flywheel and install clutch, ect. ThanksIMG_3427.jpeg.23064e018854c264243b262cc33703cc.jpegIMG_3426.jpeg.4a68b7f8e66db1eba04aae001a4c7299.jpeg

• Like 1