63 LeSabre Radiator Replacement

RLRJr

I just received a new radiator for the 63 LeSabre.  However, it is a 4 core which is thicker and won't rest down into the lower crossmember channel.  My question is this.

Would it be ok to modify the crossmember to allow the radiator to drop down into it by cutting ou a portion of the vertical side closest to the motor? The crossmember appears to be structural and concerns me that it may weaken it. Has anyone done this? My other option would be have a L channel welded to the bottom side of the crossmember to compensate. I'm not a welder and would have to have the car trailered to someone who could perform the work which is not a convenient option obviously.  Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20240228_170100.jpg

I did the same thing with my '63 Riviera last year: I got a 4-row aluminum radiator from Champion because they work fine and they're inexpensive. After realizing that I'd have to hack up the radiator support, I took my original radiator to the nearest shop for a recore, which cost about the same (maybe a little more) than the new radiator.

• Like 2

I had some seepage around the tank on my '60 Electra about 15 years ago. I took it to a radiator shop run by an old High School friend and gave him the blank check. He repaired my original one. He said he would not be able to match the quality of my old core with anything he could source.

I also requested that he only use the heat transfer radiator paint on the tanks and fins. He glass beaded the brackets, primered them, and put on a finish coat of Valspar polyurethane satin black that I provided.

Still working fine and still looks good.

Cutting the frame for the radiator fit, interesting coincidence. I am reading a book that discusses Einstein's philosophy of "Thought Experiments". He could get into the conversation.

• Haha 2