Matching numbers? (1937 Buick 40 series convertible)

Hello I have a 37 Buick  40 series convertible. I know where the frame number and engine numbers are. Are they supposed to match. On what I am seeing they do not. I brought this car back from Florida and had to get it inspected and we used the frame number to verify it. And is liscensed. Just wondering about the matching numbers deal

Some number on the car needs to match some number on the title. Rules vary from state to state and car to car. Beyond that, ninety percent of all antique automobiles the whole "numbers matching" business is a bunch of buffalo bagels!

The only collector cars that "numbers matching" really matters is some 1950s sports cars and 1960s and later muscle cars (none of which I have much interest in!). The muscle car crowd is the one that goes nuts for "numbers matching", and initially for a good reason. So many muscle cars back in their days were modified over and over again. Finding a real survivor became a challenge! And having engine and chassis numbers that matched became a way to at least think one had an unmolested car. However, over the past thirty to forty years so many muscle cars have been "restored" from total wrecks that even having numbers that match doesn't really mean much without real known provenance!

I have seen an engine and firewall from a crash and burn "restored" by replacing ninety-five percent of the car, later sold as a "numbers matching" car.

• Like 2

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Matching numbers? (1937 Buick 40 series convertible)
On 2/27/2024 at 10:32 AM, Richard Bishop said:

Hello I have a 37 Buick  40 series convertible. I know where the frame number and engine numbers are. Are they supposed to match. On what I am seeing they do not. I brought this car back from Florida and had to get it inspected and we used the frame number to verify it. And is liscensed. Just wondering about the matching numbers deal

Buick did not have so called matching numbers until late 1950's.  The term "matching numbers" is vastly over used.

Your car has a frame number, engine number and cowl data plate.  The body number on the data plate is unique.

State could license/title by frame or engine number.

Attached is the BCA judging manual. Only has 1 line for 1937, due to way it was snipped. Is a second line for 60 series (Century)

BCA judging rev2 pg24 1923-1937 extract.jpg

• Like 1