Clutch Chatter

whb52ford

I have a 1952 Ford 6 cyl with overdrive. I have clutch chatter so I bought a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing. When I removed the transmission I discovered that my bell housing was cracked. I finally found a bell houseing, but it was missing the arm, (my arm was welded into the bell housing), found a new arm and installed the new parts. I still had clutch chatter. I pulled everything out and had the flywheel resurfaced. Still have clutch chatter. Found new motor mounts and installed. Still have clutch chatter. Installed new transmission mount. Still have clutch chatter. Installed rebuilt rear end, still have clutch chatter. We put the car on a lift and raised the back tires. Ran car and the chatter is coming from the clutch area. We thought the input shaft on the transmission could be worn and the clutch was rocking. Pulled transmission and that is not the problem.  input to output on transmission looks good.  What we did discover is the outside of the clutch on both sides is glazed. Why glaze on the outside of the clutch and why on both sides.  Need help on getting rid of the clutch chatter. Something is not right. Your thoughts?

I would have put money on the engine mounts but you covered that.   When you say glazed on the outside do you mean the outer part of the plate?

It’s your release arm.  Does it have the ball pivot or the stamped steel pivot?

either way the pivot MUST be well attached to the bell housing and the release arm connected with either the spring clip or the snap clip. 

Changing bell housings and having “something welded” is causing your chatter. 

On 2/26/2024 at 1:52 PM, whb52ford said:

When I removed the transmission I discovered that my bell housing was cracked. I

Probably making a list of all the things that could crack a bellhousing and checking them off the list would get to the root of the problem.

One thought, how deep does the driveshaft yoke fit into the tailshaft when it is assembled?

Flathead Terry has some excellent videos on YT.  One of them deals with clutch chatter on his 37 Plymouth.  Worth watching.  He aligns the bell housing with the transmission using shims, and checks the flywheel for runout using a dial indicator.