Why must every topic get off topic!? (OYE!)

ONTO MY SOAP BOX:

Someone asked a simple question: "Do I need to be an AACA member to post items for sale"?

The simple answer is "no", the forum is free to register and use, AACA member or not. It's been that way 26 years.

Question asked.  Question answered.  End of story. Or you'd think it was.

Unfortunately, that's not where it ended. 29 posts later everybody had their underwear in a bunch and the original poster was put off by the tone and language used in all the responses.

Why do you guys feel like you need to respond to every post?

The single biggest problem on this forum is not spam. It's the over abundance of people getting off-topic or getting themselves worked up over nothing. Instead of answering a simple question, we ran him off.

"Before you speak (post or comment) ask yourself if what you are going to say is true, is kind, is necessary, is helpful. If the answer is no, maybe what you are about to say should be left unsaid." - Bernard Meltzer 

... and you wonder why posts and topics get deleted.  This is a perfect example!

OFF MY SOAPBOX:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Petey boy, your problem is you take YOUR JOB personally. If people want to jack up a thread, they aren't doing it to piss off Petey boy, okay? They don't care what you want, and they don't have to care what you want. This forum is NOT yours, it's just where you work. So take care of business and go home happy instead of playing the victim.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Studemax said:

Petey boy, your problem is you take YOUR JOB personally. If people want to jack up a thread, they aren't doing it to piss off Petey boy, okay? They don't care what you want, and they don't have to care what you want. This forum is NOT yours, it's just where you work. So take care of business and go home happy instead of playing the victim.

One more disrespectful post like this toward Peter or anyone else on this forum and you will be banned permanently. There is no place for that here. Period.   If you want to say "don't piss off Ronnie" you will be right.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Studemax said:

You didn’t read one word of my post. You are a reflection of the problem. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, Studemax said:

No, I take my job seriously. The forum is worth it.

There are 15-20 people who want to word-vomit* daily. Unfortunately, It makes the forum appear dominated by a bunch of curmudgeons not having anything better to do but to respond incessantly to even the most basic questions.

Want to pontificate about things? GREAT! Start another post that follow the forums rules. Hopefully with a subject link that isn't click-bait, so people can simply pass it by.

Why is it so hard for people to be civil and on topic?

There is a victim.  It's the forum.

---

*Word Vomit: (n) The words that come out of your mouth without any thought, often when you are drunk, embarrassed, angry, or given criticism in a social environment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just a kind suggestion, Peter.

You may want to edit the heading.

EVERY post is off topic?

If EVERY post is off topic you'll have a lot of deleting to do and may end up putting yourself out of a job in the process and none of us want that :) 

We respectfully understand that it's your soapbox (your choice of words), but overdramatizing the issue probably doesn't help. 

Please consider updating the heading to read "almost every" or "virtually every" or "some posts" so that those readers who may have an innate ability to take things way to literal can feel as if they aren't being singled out unjustly.

I realize that is probably not going to happen, but it's just a kind suggestion to not APPEAR to have such a distain for the entire board. 

Again, just a suggestion. 

• Like 1