1925 Ford speedster $8,000

Considering what I've seen some of these parts compilations go for this one looks pretty nice. 

About This Vehicle

Driven 2,500 miles
Manual transmission
Exterior color: Red · Interior color: Black
Fuel type: Gasoline
This vehicle is paid off
Clean title

This vehicle has no significant damage or problems.

Seller's Description
1925 Ford Speedster. Converted to electric start so that you don’t have to turn the crank on front. Gas engine. Clean title. Comes with 4 dollies for ease of moving around while on display. Includes several owners manuals and books, 2 plastic bins of misc parts and a nice paper trail of all of the items ordered for it over the years.

The rest of the photos were taken so close that they are really
worthless.
Product photo of 1925 Ford speedster

Odessa, MO

The pinstriping adds a lot, but I have a "thing" about these: Post WWI, this style would have been very out of date. 

After the war, we see all those inexpensive speedster bodies. Of course, someone of limited means could have done something like this in '29 or '30 when the chassis was getting cheap, but then they probably wouldn't have nice paint and pinstripes...it would have been a "jalopy." Or to sum up...Harumph! 

image.jpeg.917063902d1b2a10f2449ccc2a1e42bb.jpeg

• Like 1

Speedsters, especially of the Model T variety, are often a tough sell. Very personalized, the final price is generally defined by the amount of specialized equipment the car has. Things like OHV conversions, Warford (or other) transmissions, Ruckstell two speed differential, and wire wheels add a lot to value. Often a seller prices the speedster by comparison with others for sale, not taking into account how theirs is equipped. That is why prices are all over the map and why the buyer must be aware of how the speedster is equipped.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Often a seller prices the speedster by comparison with others for sale, not taking into account how theirs is equipped.

Or how out of line the prices are on the other ones. 

• Like 1

Quality of workmanship also makes a big difference to most buyers. Although personally, I don't like them over-restored. That just wasn't how they were done back in their day. But I don't like ones that look like a trash pile either.

A bigger issue to me is that I want to see speedsters, whether truly original, total recreations, or put together from remnants of original era speedsters, I want them to represent some particular type of speedster with appropriate for that era accessories and/or modifications. There were several distinctively different eras and styles of speedsters. The real "speedster" era ended about the same time the model T Ford ended production. The 1930s transitioned into other styles which eventually became "hotrods" after WW2.

Certain styles were common on brass era and late 1910s speedsters, other styles more popular in the early 1920s. Too many people in the hobby do not build or restore speedsters correctly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1