Judging Schools

TAKerry

Just throwing out a hypothetical. Not sure if this has ever been discussed openly or in a business meeting. I attended the judging school yesterday at the national convention, the same as I did last year. I am new to the judging aspect of AACA and so far I have been more than happy with all of the experiences. But from what I understand a judging school is required at least once a year. Until 10 credits are received the basic judging school is all one can attend. Looking at the show schedule I may be able to judge 2 shows this year, def 1 and possibly 3. At the rate I am going it will be a few years until I can attend an advanced judging school. I mean no offense but the general 'school' is pretty basic and seems like the same one I went to last year. IF the advance offers more than should it not be open to all that have attended at least one basic course? 

TAKerry, 

I believe you are unable to attend the Advanced Judging School until you reach 25 Judging credits. 
If you attend the Certified Judges Education (CJE) tou get an additional credit once per year. Thus, if you attend the school, CJE and judge you can get 3 credits for 1 meet. If you attend additional CJE’s per year you do not get additional credits unless it is Milestone Year where you reach (10, 25, 50, 75, etc.), you can earn an additional CJE credit after completion of another CJE seminar during the calendar year of your milestone.

Thus, the credits add up rather quickly. Before long, you will be up to 25 credits and can attend the Advanced Education. 
Tim

• Like 1

I think I understand the point system. But I have 1 (school) as of Sat. So regardless of how many schools I take this year I do not get any more points for that. 1 point max for CJE. Realistically I will be judging at Hershey 1 point. I am hoping to get to at least one more show to judge but that is up in the air as my wife has zero interest in cars and for me to travel to a meet is a hard sell. So at the min. I may get 3 points this year. Add that to my 4 I have and I am about 7 years away from 25 points.

Again, not trying to throw a wrench in the works. Its just that if an advance school offers more detail into the judging aspect than the basic judging school why not offer it at an earlier date to beginning judges. Maybe even an intermediate school. Im not a genius by any means but I think I have somewhat of a grasp on the basic judging school after a couple of times. No knock against the instructor as I think he is doing a great job.

TAKerry,

I had hoped that Dave, Stan, or Jim would see your post, but let me take a stab at it.... and then, any way I've got to call Dave today about the Grand National.  So, I'll tell him.

First and foremost, I think everyone in AACA judging understands your concern.  And yes, the Advanced school is not like jumping from high school calculus to graduate school, but there is a planned progression from one to the other.  And every time I listen to Dain, Stan, John, I learn something new!

Thus, AACA Judges' training includes more than gaining credits to go to Advanced, be a Senior Master Judge, be a Team Captain, judge at a Grand National, etc.  It includes experience.  That experience certainly includes several schools, several different CJEs, judging at different places, on different teams, with different captains, in several classes, with several different makes and models.  

In other words, while that credit goal is certainly worth it, the experience of getting there is a great part of what makes it worth it --whether it takes you three years or seven.  That is also a great part of the fact that our judging system helps us judge any car and is admired by all.

BTW, welcome to the team! Enjoy the ride!

Phillip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The advanced school is a fairly recent development. Years ago, you got the standard judging school or the team captain school. As a Team Captain and a guy with a little over 75 credits, I still try to take the basic judging school once a year if I can, although I do the Team Captain School first, the Advanced second, and then the basic one for the third judging school of the year. You only get one credit for one school a year, but taking as many as you can is a good thing. You will usually pick up at least one good thing in every school, typically that comes from the answer to a question from the audience. I would encourage you to attend as many judging schools as you can and take as many CJEs as you can and while it may take a few years, you will eventually qualify for the advanced school. Until that time, I would not worry about it. For the first few years, it is good to get the basics multiple times to reinforce those and the advanced school is probably not really the best choice for you quite yet.  While the schools are required and important, the most important part is the actual judging. Experience judging on the showfield with various teams is where you actually learn the most about judging. Welcome to the judging segment of the hobby and be sure to have fun with it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1