1913 Brass Model T - $16,000 OBO

Not Mine...

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/phoenix-1913-brass-model/7716186349.html

1913 Ford Model T Runabout
Engine serial number indicates a build of engine November 11, 1913. Rare driver's side door. All original except Hogshead and flywheel changed to provide electric start. Magneto works. 12 volt battery, modern lights and turn signals. Possible to help with delivery depending on location. Willing to work with you on pricing.
Phone or text only. No email.  906 eight six nine 22 nine nine.

1913 Brass Model T 100K0K_4ytmPo9Guye_0ww0ii_600x450.jpg00t0t_42ZTIYVcQqJ_0tg0gs_600x450.jpg00r0r_j9xwdjqYfbb_0gl0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Actually looks like a 1914 body, w/s and rear deck. Cars from that era are often titled in the year sold, not in the manufacturer’s fiscal year. I’ve had a couple titled that way.  Not totally sure about this but I would also suspect the body is Canadian manufactured as they had the LH front door.

• Like 3

Also, round corners on bottom of doors. Drivers door looks operational. Could this be a Canadian built car?

The 1913 touring car has a flaw in the design that left them with weak sills not adequately supporting the back of the touring car body. The problem began showing up early in the 1913 production, so Ford rushed "fixes" which sort of worked, and had dealers call all buyers they could to "fix" them for no cost to the customer. That is sometimes considered one of the first automobile recalls! 

Ford also rushed a design change to correct the real problem. For this reason, the touring cars began getting the 1914 style bodies about July of 1913, and both 1913 and 1914 style touring car bodies were being assembled into cars through July and August. Interesting to note, that during those few months, a fair number of cars got a "mix" of year/style/model details. 1913 style touring cars might have a 1914 style windshield while down the line a 1914 style touring car might have a 1913 windshield! 

With the exception of those anomalous how ever many? Looking at the windshield hinge is often the quickest way to identify whether a car in a photograph is a 1913 or 1914.

The runabouts as in this car for sale, however, were not affected by the weak design of the touring car sills. With no back seat to carry people, there was no urgent need to make the body change for the upcoming year. Researchers and knowledgeable owners I have spoken with seem to not be sure just when the change was made to the 1914 style with the rounded bottom doors. The general informed opinion seems to be that the runabouts changed quite a bit later than did the touring cars, likely September or October of 1913. One highly respected brass era T expert who has spent many days researching at the Benson Ford Archives said that at least a few 1913 style runabouts left the factory as late as December of 1913. The engine of this car is said to be November of 1913. So it could possibly have either the earlier or later style body.

And of course, timelines for Canadian production may have been different, although most of the general details remained close to USA built cars at that time.

I sure wish the pictures of this car were a lot better. Lots of details just don't show in the pictures. I can't even tell if the turtle deck is a correct era or not? It would be nice to know if it is a Canadian production car or not?

• Thanks 2