1973 Riviera Flint Production Data by VIN

RMS73

Hoping to get some information regarding 1973 Riviera production at Flint by VIN.  My 73 Riviera was built the last week of June 1973.  I do not have the build sheet so I don't know the day and date.  I also have the Sloan info on my car which does not have day and date.  My VIN ends in 588397.  I'm trying to find a list (if it exists) of all cars or all Rivieras built at Flint in June and July 1973 sorted by VIN.  Sloan does not have this information.   My car was one of the last boat tails built, but I'd like to find out how close to the end of production was it built?  When was the last 73 Riviera built?  Were any Rivieras built in July 1973?  I do know the VIN of the last 73 Buick built at Flint, and based on that VIN roughly 14,000 cars were built after mine so obviously they were building 73 Buicks into July.  Does anyone own a 73 Riviera with a VIN higher than mine, and if so, do you know the date or the week it was built?  The only other info I have on my car is that it was an ordered car to be used as a dealer demo or zone rep car.  Thanks in advance for any information.  I'm preparing an article on my car for an upcoming edition of the ROA Riview and that's how this question came up.  

Edited by RMS73
additional info. (see edit history)

The VIN number appears to be part of a series of numbers used by Buick for all models. In 1973, there were only 37,366 Rivieras built.  Your 6 digit number doesn’t fit with the number of Rivieras built for 1973. Buick built over 821,165 cars in 1973.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

OK, first, there were just over 34,000 Rivieras built in 1973.  All were built at the Flint plant.  I only posted the last 6 digits of my VIN as that is the sequential production number.  All Flint built 1973 Buicks have a VIN ending in 400001 through 602593.  Therefore about 14,000 Buicks were built at Flint after mine.  I'm only concerned with Rivieras and the VIN of Flint built 73 Buicks.  

VIN #s are not specific to Rivieras. I think  you’ll be better off using the body number.  In 1966, the Fisher Body plant was in Euclid Ohio.  Later, Rivieras were built in Linden, NJ.  The first part of your VIN will give you a code that tells you where your car was built.  

• Like 1

• RMS73 changed the title to 1973 Riviera Flint Production Data by VIN

Yes, I realize all this.  All 73 Rivieras were built at Flint, along with other full size Buicks.  The full VIN has the info as to body style, what model, engine, etc.  If a listing exists of all Buicks built at Flint in June and July of 73, then I would just work from the last one back, counting only the Rivieras till I got to my VIN.  If this list doesn't exist, then if someone has a 73 Riviera with a VIN higher than the last 6 digits of mine, then their data plate and build sheet info would be helpful to me.  The last week of June 1973 was a full week, Monday through Friday, and I don't know what day of that week mine was built.  I also had one reliable source tell me that no Rivieras were built in July 1973.  

2 hours ago, RMS73 said:

Yes, I realize all this.  All 73 Rivieras were built at Flint, along with other full size Buicks.  The full VIN has the info as to body style, what model, engine, etc.  If a listing exists of all Buicks built at Flint in June and July of 73, then I would just work from the last one back, counting only the Rivieras till I got to my VIN.  If this list doesn't exist, then if someone has a 73 Riviera with a VIN higher than the last 6 digits of mine, then their data plate and build sheet info would be helpful to me.  The last week of June 1973 was a full week, Monday through Friday, and I don't know what day of that week mine was built.  I also had one reliable source tell me that no Rivieras were built in July 1973.  

Some info is available on the ROA site, members only area, IIRC.

Greetings RM, Sorry I can't help you with '73 production info, but while we're on the subject, I do have a '73 rear bumper you can have if you're ever in Orlando. it is a nice driver quality piece w good chrome, few scratches, & one almost imperceptible ding, but no hardware or rubber. It is free to anyone who can pick up, as the shipping cost to anywhere is probably more than it's worth.   Drew

• 1 month later...

Still looking for info regarding 73 Riviera production.  If anyone owns a 73 bult the last week of June 1973 or later, I would like to know the last six digits of your VIN and the build date if you know it.  Thank you!