1927 Buick 27-27

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

The head looks nice; I hope the hardened seats don't cause any trouble later...

Oh boy….. what kind of trouble are we talking? Dropping out like a hardened bauble wrecking the head/ cylinder/ and piston? 

The machinist said the exhaust seat areas of all 6 were shot but I had him do the intakes too thinking with all new valves why not? 

I don't know that there will be any issue, though the seat coming loose would be the concern.  All I can say is there are some on the Post War Buick forum who claim that nailhead engines should never have hardened seats installed.

I just wondered why hardened seats would be necessary for a 100 year-old ultra low compression engine.  Certainly seat erosion shouldn't be a concern even with unleaded fuel.  If the inserts were installed because the original seats were too far gone to re-machine, then that's a different story.

EmTee-

All the exhaust seats were toast. The machinist confirmed as much. There were a few intake that he said were salvageable but I had them do all intake and exhaust for the sake of uniformity. I thought I had pictures of the exhaust seats but I don’t think I do  here are a few of the vale’s when I pulled them- looking for photos of the seats …IMG_8437.jpeg.0ed1c4872a489e54fc98497e0d3dcf2c.jpeg

I think we are looking at intake on the right exhaust on the left. The exhaust valve has a weird step

in it- indicative of all the exhaust valves- the intake on the right still has the 45ish degree taper. I can’t believe I didn’t take photos of the valve seats! 

In any case all the exhaust valves needed seats for certain. IMG_5062.png.a73672028792bca9e11d094a15565670.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't like to use hard seats in antique engines unless they are absolutely necessary. I just do not trust them, never did. If I had a reasonable choice? I would never use them in any engine. Unfortunately, a few years ago we bought an older modern used very well cared for, very low mileage used car (just out of warranty). I think the Fates wanted to kick me in the @$$. Of course, the modern aluminum OHV had to have hardened seats in it. The "life expectancy" of the engine was generally said to be 200,000 plus miles, and it had just passed 100,000. Less than 2000 miles later it swallowed a valve and totaled the engine.

On low rpm low compression engines, unless severe wear makes hardened seats absolutely necessary, they are really an unnecessary risk. Modern machinists are so busy thinking that they are so much smarter than the people that built these cars originally, that they automatically assume that ALL engines MUST have hardened seats and they set out to change them regardless of whether they need it or not!

The valves being worn does not mean the seats need to be replaced. Only a critical examination of the seats can determine whether they can be reground slightly oversize or not.

That is my opinion and some of my background for it. Probably offensive to some people.

The odds are that your rebuilt head will be fine and give many many years of wonderful service!

• Like 2

Hi Jim

Been following your exceptional work on restoring the Buick 6.  I'm a novice as to regards to US built vehicles, ...what is a cotter pin on the valve stem?

BTW i took delivery of my 1927 Master 6 (Brougham body)

at Easter ...Held together by its upholstery..!

On the subject of valve seat inserts...On cast iron heads after many rework sessions the valves get cut into the head. The rocker arms do not line up and consequently tappet settings are a nightmare. If the head cannot be replaced then the only solution is inserts. Good company in Germany will provide ceramics...

• Like 1

The cotter pin through the hole in the valve stem (above the guide ) was a safeguard against a broken spring. If a valve spring broke the pin would prevent the valve from dropping and coming into contact with the piston. 

I like the safeguard myself. The cotter pin doesn’t interfere with the function of the valve at all- and the hole is already in the new valve stem. 

• Like 2

A lot of cleaning and reorganizing today- I did manage to get the head painted. Hoping to install in the next few days. Sill on the fence about the pins in valve stems - with inner and outer springs a broken spring will not likely lead to catastrophe. IMG_5083.jpeg.4924a668b58e0931bede52f9c7482f36.jpegIMG_5084.jpeg.cd9aa1d909ce1fc0ababc30755c7f26b.jpeg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, David Stewart said:

Hi Jim

Been following your exceptional work on restoring the Buick 6.  I'm a novice as to regards to US built vehicles, ...what is a cotter pin on the valve stem?

BTW i took delivery of my 1927 Master 6 (Brougham body)

at Easter ...Held together by its upholstery..!

On the subject of valve seat inserts...On cast iron heads after many rework sessions the valves get cut into the head. The rocker arms do not line up and consequently tappet settings are a nightmare. If the head cannot be replaced then the only solution is inserts. Good company in Germany will provide ceramics...

Congratulations on acquiring the 27 Master 6 Brougham. Post photos when you can. How is the wood? I’m not looking forward to that part of this cars journey! 

2nd coat of paint on the head and 2 coats black brushed on the generator / regulator and strap today. Brush marks should flatten out.
I’ll need to find the distributor and make a gasket for the generator face where it mounts to the block. I’m also going to need to replace the wire from generator to regulator. T looks like regulator I have is too short- mounting hole to mounting hole  if the right size is available I’ll source one  
IMG_5104.jpeg.d42f3f6827c4760dd753f20463be08ef.jpegIMG_5103.jpeg.42553e49246cc23e38b24811cfcd6f18.jpegIMG_5105.jpeg.5d3f4eb2f8e74004e28e1146df7462f9.jpeg

• Like 7

I didn’t realize the side cover does not cover the whole plug side of the head- added paint yesterday to correct. I cut out the generator gasket and cleaned the mounting bolts as well. The distributor still eludes me- 

IMG_5113.jpeg.2aeb8a7cf71b3337247c8d3e6e4e0164.jpegIMG_5112.jpeg.f193b82e1194edc512276415f7acdf80.jpeg

• Like 1

Installed the generator today. Realized I didn’t need the distributor - neccesarily. 

Generator in- figured I should hit the gears with assembly lube. Generator out- lubed the gears- generator back in. 

I have clamps and hoses coming from Bob’s along with manifold studs- moving right along. 

Distributor disassembly next 

IMG_5164.jpeg.a4bb249e95004ce4fbe1b16a13861148.jpeg

IMG_5163.jpeg

• Like 7

That is a nice looking engine. I have been impressed by the fact that Buick engineers always seemed to come up with efficient designs without a lot of clutter. 

I enjoy watching your progress. Also appreciate the comments like, "Generator in- figured I should hit the gears with assembly lube. Generator out- lubed the gears- generator back in." I do that sort of thing all the time.

A few years ago, I looked about, in hopes of buying a late 1920s Buick. At the time, I couldn't find one I could afford, and did find a 1928 Packard. I love the Packard, but I still have a soft spot for the Buicks.

Thanks for posting. It's fun to follow your restoration.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Disassembly of the distributor. I was getting spark waaaaay back when I first started in on this engine I replace points and condenser/ cap and rotor back then. 

I tried to remove the pin at the drive gear so I could clean everything but it wouldn’t budge so I didn’t press my luck. 

distributor body wire wheeled and painted. Clips and screws taking a dip in evaporust. I’ll put the guts back in tomorrow. Possibly get the clips painted. 

I’m grateful it’s not a pot metal distributor  the body is a little rough but it will/should work just fine  IMG_5168.jpeg.375097761edae46e997a475dd01dbaf0.jpegIMG_5169.jpeg.8aad0a33014893084c0f6faefdde4d4a.jpegIMG_5170.jpeg.b41149471df00f9d54ae5e2fad852c5a.jpegIMG_5171.jpeg.cca98226e0f4666416840aafd603262e.jpegIMG_5178.jpeg.de3a6a776ea50d61b9252e280e56abfb.jpegIMG_5179.jpeg.e05bf512ad47eb3d6740b6ee834d7bf5.jpegIMG_5182.jpeg.da087c324bbf96be157e7257279af391.jpegIMG_5181.jpeg.eb58262f59b7cf88a771e524ffba03de.jpeg

• Like 7

Not much done in the shop. It’s been rainy the last couple of days and the paint on the distributor is still not dry. I hit the clips with the wire wheel- I have a couple other early distributors. I’m going to see if I have better clips

IMG_5192.jpeg.4e0ae390bf996f156541389eb7bb3cc3.jpeg

I received a package from Bobs. Coolant hoses, clamps and a couple manifold bolts- the manifold bolts are a bit short and the unthreaded portion is much smaller compared to the others. we’ll see if they work. 

IMG_5191.jpeg.97c64ac0a066c41eca69595564740923.jpeg

Edited by Slawnski
Spelling errors (see edit history)
  • Like 3

quick night in the shop. Ran to NAPA and picked up longer manifold bolts- a little too long so they were cut down. I also ran a greased tap into the two missing stud threaded holes- both had some rusty bits where the old bolts had been parked. Put the new studs in and had to call it a night. 

I also wanted one more night for the pint to dry sufficiently to put the distributor together. 
IMG_5209.jpeg.aa681a782327818af9011b6d21e04ee1.jpeg
IMG_5210.jpeg.fe5876370cbc0ca77664453ab9ce05bf.jpegIMG_5213.jpeg.989d6e9b32b7de39b57309cebd44615b.jpegIMG_5214.jpeg.7c4de717ea5ee1f554e7f7d6602d5011.jpegIMG_5215.jpeg.d5d4e9f64a7cbdbb494f531ae43b32f4.jpeg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, David Stewart said:

All your hard work is starting to come together. Respect.  My journey is just beginning....

Oh my! Please keep us posted as the Woodwork proceeds… you’ve got a real project on your hands! Are you doing the wood replacement woth the body bolted to the chassis? I have yet to think that part through on my 27

7 hours ago, David Stewart said:

Edited by Slawnski (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Bits are falling off as I speak...Decided to built new wood body off the chassis, then reassemble when the old body woodwork is clear and the running gear is clean and refreshed...As can be seen from the pix there is nothing to attach the A and B posts to. Also the LHS post turned to dust!

The impossible I do tomorrow : Miracles take a little longer...

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

• Like 2

Finally was able to get the distributor back together. Couple notes-

The springs are not equally springy- I’ll look to replace those

There are washers that go under the weight pivots. Found that out the 3rd time I put the guts in. 
IMG_5223.jpeg.0de2f02e08000e56914af4e33b60f872.jpeg

Clips only go on one way- mine are going to need to be replaced. Not very springy

My pivot- (the shouldered screw that keeps the clamp from traveling too far and keeps the distributor from coming out-) has 3 washers. I’m certain that there were not 3 washers originally as tightening this screw puts too much pressure on the plate and moving the distributor with the lever/ rods from the steering wheel could prove to be difficult

Engine at TDC, distributor centered in the clamp, rotor is pointed to the center of #1 at distributor  cap. Lots of room for adjustments when it comes time to run. 

My distributor cap is very dirty- should have at least cleaned it before photos. 

IMG_5232.jpeg.882414d9b1c7564f0b511dfcbd60e4f2.jpegIMG_5231.jpeg.27d0acc5042c8a370cd21707a20f7eb5.jpegIMG_5233.jpeg.07b7bd47aec6be7a3cd156cc5c422bf0.jpeg

IMG_5224.jpeg

IMG_5234.jpeg

• Like 3

Next are head bolts and pushrods/rockerarm installation. Followed by intake exhaust manifolds.

I’m only planning on hand tightening the head bolts. I’ll need to pull a lot of things off when it’s time to install this motor - the head included. ( for cherry picker / lift points)  I’ll just be assembling to keep all the parts together and in one place while I work on the chassis. 

• Like 4

Great project, well done. I’ve always appreciated the detail on antique engines.

I read somewhere that rope seals should be cut at an angle so the ends of the two halves overlap. Does that apply to cork?

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Model56s said:

Great project, well done. I’ve always appreciated the detail on antique engines.

I read somewhere that rope seals should be cut at an angle so the ends of the two halves overlap. Does that apply to cork?

Here the cork seals were cut slightly long - pressed into place overnight then and butted with a dab of sealant before the cap was torqued down. Time will tell how well it seals

Edited by Slawnski (see edit history)