1948 DeSoto clock question

marcapra

I checked the 1949 DeSoto wiring diagram, and they do show the clock and the blower motor, but they changed a lot of stuff in 49.  There are a bunch of circuit breakers that the 48 doesn't have.  Thanks c49er for the tip on the 48 Chrysler.  I happen to have a copy of the 41 - 48 Chrysler manual and it does show the clock!  But only on the C-40 8 cylinder chassis.  But I'm sure it would be the same on the 6 cylinder cars.  Looks like the clock wire goes to the instrument panel light switch under the dash.  thanks!  

2 hours ago, marcapra said:

I checked the 1949 DeSoto wiring diagram, and they do show the clock and the blower motor, but they changed a lot of stuff in 49.  There are a bunch of circuit breakers that the 48 doesn't have.  Thanks c49er for the tip on the 48 Chrysler.  I happen to have a copy of the 41 - 48 Chrysler manual and it does show the clock!  But only on the C-40 8 cylinder chassis.  But I'm sure it would be the same on the 6 cylinder cars.  Looks like the clock wire goes to the instrument panel light switch under the dash.  thanks!  

Actually if you have another look at that wiring diagram marcapra, the wire that you followed was for the clock & glove box lights.  The wire coming off the clock, going to the right, is the power wire with the 3 amp fuse, and it goes to the ammeter. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marcapra said:

The power wire with the 2 amp fuse has a lead that is too short to reach the ammeter.  Am I missing a connection here?  

I had a look at mine today. As I mentioned earlier I put in a switch.  But before I installed that switch, the power wire was going to a circuit breaker that is mounted on the light switch. Three wires are coming off the other side of that circuit breaker, but everything is so tight in there I couldn't really see where they go. I'm assuming one of them was going to my ammeter.   

I couldn't see in your video clearly if you had a circuit breaker in reach of that clock wire.

As for the circuit breaker for the flasher.  I think I remember seeing someone out there selling them.  But I can't remember who right now.

• Like 1

Yes there is a circuit breaker in easy reach of the clock lead.  It's the circuit breaker shown in my video of the headlight switch.  Maybe that is where it goes?  May I ask timecapsule what car you have?  Thanks, Marc.

4 minutes ago, marcapra said:

Yes there is a circuit breaker in easy reach of the clock lead.  It's the circuit breaker shown in my video of the headlight switch.  Maybe that is where it goes?  May I ask timecapsule what car you have?  Thanks, Marc.

I have a '48 Windsor Chrysler, so my dash is obviously laid out differently than yours.  If you are not too concerned with keeping everything original up under the dash, I would be inclined to attach the clock wire to a 3A fuse and then from the other side of the fuse run a wire to the ignition switch. 

• Like 1

I think a Chrysler 6 and a DeSoto of the same year would have a very similar dashboard layout and wiring.  Strong family resemblance.  The lead would easily reach the ignition switch.  Do you think it would go on the Coil (-), GA (fuel gauge, horn relay), or the ammeter terminal of the ignition switch?  I suppose being a clock, it would have to be on all the time, even when the ignition was turned off.  Would that be the ammeter terminal?