Eismann dual switch

1wonton

Wouldn’t you need the key to unlock the switch to allow measurements to be taken.  I would think the key locks out the start function of the switch.  Usually the magneto system has an option for battery start so I assume the left and right start arrows select battery starting or magneto starting.

8 minutes ago, 1wonton said:

Would anyone have the manual for the Eisemann GR4 dual magneto?  Looking for how to set the points.    ron

Did you check Old Croak?

https://oldcroak.com/gr4-ed-2-magneto-parts-service-manual/

Shows in detail entire system, including switch.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes, I did see this, but it does not address my question.  The dual spark Eisemann has two sets of points: one set for the mag and one set for the battery ignition.  I am unclear as to how the two sets of points are set.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Did you check Old Croak?

https://oldcroak.com/gr4-ed-2-magneto-parts-service-manual/

Shows in detail entire system, including switch.

I understand the system, however the mag referenced is an EM6, the mag in my system is the GR4.  Adjusting one set of points affects the other set, but I don't know the sequence of this adjustment.

15 hours ago, 1wonton said:

Are you wanting to test the points on the coil/switch or the two sets of points on the magneto? 

The easiest way to test the points on the switch would be to wire it up on a bench with a 6 volt battery. 

The setup gives 3 ways to start the engine.

1 - The outer lever set to Magneto, the engine will run on magneto. The engine can be started with the hand crank (provided you can crank it fast enough to generate a decent spark).

2 - The outer lever set to Battery, the engine will run using the dash-mounted coil/switch and the distributor in the magneto. The engine can be started with the hand crank.

3 - The outer lever set to Battery and the START lever rotated back and forth. This will make the coil/switch vibrate like a Model T coil, providing a "shower of sparks". As long as the cylinder is on compression and a good fuel/air mixture the engine will start automatically. This is similar to a "free start" on a Model T.

EdInMass's Old Croak link shows the GR4. Looking at page 5 terminals + to R or M are the primary winding (depending on ratchet position) and M & H are the secondary winding (both provided the outer lever is set to Battery).

I pulled apart the switch on my Bosch Dual Ignition and it looks very similar other than it uses a built-in vibrator for self starting rather than having to manually rotate the lever back and forth. I put some photos of the setup here:

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/384515-bosch-duplex-ignition/#comment-2424080

Edited by John E. Guitar (see edit history)

Without un-soldering and taking the entire switch apart it appears that either the coil or the condenser is open.  Can anyone recommend a rebuilder for the switch (Eisemann dual switch)?  I've contacted Marks and Adrian but neither can do the job right now.  Surely there are other experienced rebuilders somewhere....