Show accomodations $$$

Just a reminder to check some of the travel sites before you book your show hotels.

I just booked the BCA 2024 Nationals hotel for less than the meet rate. Granted, it doesn't include breakfast but my fee was fully refundable until 2 days before the show starts. The Riviera Nationals in Lexington KY is also less, but that is a non-refundable booking through the site I used. Your mileage may vary.

Ted makes a very important point.  Many (not all) clubs and others who host an event have to guarantee X amount of rooms. A shortfall comes out of the organizations pocket.  Many of these events pray that they break even let alone make a profit.  When you can and when you know a club has a room block that is guaranteed please try to stay at the host hotel.  

Our convention this year (AACA) had a 700 night room guarantee which we have exceed by a significant amount and we do have an overflow hotel with 20 rooms that are called a complimentary block and we are not charged anything if the rooms do not get sold.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ted sweet said:

and then that room doesnt go against the rooms the club guareeted

I forgot to mention what prompted me to look in the first place was that another person who was planning to go to BCA Nationals said they couldn't get a room in the host hotel for anywhere approaching the show rate. The hotel said they block was full already and they couldn't open more rooms (third hand info, but my source is a long-term BCA member and I consider them reliable). So in the case of BCA Nationals they aren't getting hurt by going around the BCA block. Point is, there is more than one way to get around a lack of reasonably priced rooms.

what do any or all of us call "reasonable" so far as cost of a hotel room for more then one night? Depends upon the event. I think the Hershey Fall meet has to be one of the annual largest attended car events in the world each year. What are you paying - IF you can get a room reasonably near buy? My son and I just booked ours for that , not "thrifty" but it is the one major event we have attended for nearly 30 years together ( me for over 55 years.)

One also has to take into account the satisfaction of seeing friends once a year for a number of days in a row, if you are looking for stuff ( parts, automobilia etc) is the event one that maybe can let you bring home one "goodie" that you don't have! etc.