1931 V12 Vacuum Tank info / WTB

Does anyone have photos of the correct vacuum tank for a 1931 Cadillac V12, top / bottom / height and diameter, and/or the correct model number for the tank assembly, or even one they would sell; complete or partial? Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Edited by 57wayne
error (see edit history)

• 57wayne changed the title to 1931 V12 Vacuum Tank info / WTB
1 hour ago, 57wayne said:

Does anyone have photos of the correct vacuum tank for a 1931 Cadillac V12, top / bottom / height and diameter, and/or the correct model number for the tank assembly, or even one they would sell; complete or partial? Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Try Dick Shappy Classic Auto Parts in Rhode Island. He got the last of that stuff I had. The memory is getting a little foggy now but while you're looking,look for two,one for each carb. There should be mounting holes in your firewall or firewall cover,pretty sure the tank mounted at all four corners. They are sort of halfround will have to fit those mounting holes. So just a little bigger than the mounting. The V-12 also had a fairly heavy chromed casting on the bottom with a glass sediment bowl. Believe V12 and V-16 used the same tank but maybe not the sediment bowl. If I can find a picture I'll enter it later. Good luck.

• Like 2

Thanks Sagefinds .

I tried Dick Shappy first; he hasn't come up with one so far. The 1931 V12 uses a different tank than the V16, V16 has two tanks, but the 1931, 370A V12 has a single with two outlets. One circuit uses an internal filter and the other uses the external filter. There are two shutoff valves. I can find pictures of it on the firewall and instruction on the two shutoff valves in the Operator's Manual, but nothing with a lot more detail. The Cadillac LaSalle Club Authenticity Manual for 1930 - 1933 Cadillac V12 and V16, page 104 does have info, and maybe the PN I need; "12.3820-2nd edition. 888383. 370A"

53 minutes ago, 57wayne said:

Thanks Sagefinds .

I tried Dick Shappy first; he hasn't come up with one so far. The 1931 V12 uses a different tank than the V16, V16 has two tanks, but the 1931, 370A V12 has a single with two outlets. One circuit uses an internal filter and the other uses the external filter. There are two shutoff valves. I can find pictures of it on the firewall and instruction on the two shutoff valves in the Operator's Manual, but nothing with a lot more detail. The Cadillac LaSalle Club Authenticity Manual for 1930 - 1933 Cadillac V12 and V16, page 104 does have info, and maybe the PN I need; "12.3820-2nd edition. 888383. 370A"

Okay,that's the difference. I knew there was one but it was out of the memory back. There is a guy in California named Johnson that comes up with that stuff periodically and is familiar with most of it. People out there had money in the early days and spent it on cars. If I can find his number I will PM it to you. I haven't seen or heard from him in a few years but hopefully he's still kicking.

If your tank is missing, it was probably running on an electric pump with those two Johnson carbs…….a very bad idea and basically begging for a fire. Most likely your carbs are modified…….so be ready to take them on also.

• Like 1

@edinmass , The car was running Detroit Lubricators. I rebuilt a pair of Johnson carbs and reinstalled those with the correct silencers, corrected the linkage from the mods made for the Detroit Lubricator carbs, and am now setting up the fuel supply. Thanks for your inputs!

Good for you...stock is best. The V-12 tank will be a challenge to find......PM me and I will give you a lead. Ed

• Like 1

Still on the hunt..thanks for the inputs and leads so far!

It looks like if we can get a V16 tank assembly, we might be able to make parts to modify it to a V12 configuration. So, if anyone has a V16 tank available, please let me know!

1 hour ago, 57wayne said:

Still on the hunt..thanks for the inputs and leads so far!

It looks like if we can get a V16 tank assembly, we might be able to make parts to modify it to a V12 configuration. So, if anyone has a V16 tank available, please let me know!

Wayne,In response to your msg this morning,I PM'd you Johnson's phone number out of the latest HCCA roster on tuesday. That roster is getting old now and he has no email address in it. Would you double check your system and make sure it's not there somewhere. I can't put it out into a public venue,maybe PM me your actual email address and then I can shoot it to you directly. And maybe other ideas for sources. I'm past the 3/4 century mark in years but maybe a few of the brain cells are still working.

Best,

Steve G.