1955 Oldsmobile Steering box

Zzotte

Hello everyone Merry Christmas to all, my question today it’s about the steering box on my 55 Olds super 88, I toke my car to get a new exhaust and I asked the tech to do a “Safety check” when I went to pickup the car they said my front end is shot and so is the Steering box ( my is a power steering box) I don’t doubt the tie rods or any other joint but I’m a little skeptical about the fact that the steering box is also “shot”  so can some shed some light on how can I check for a bad steering box? Thank you 

3 hours ago, Zzotte said:

Hello everyone Merry Christmas to all, my question today it’s about the steering box on my 55 Olds super 88, I toke my car to get a new exhaust and I asked the tech to do a “Safety check” when I went to pickup the car they said my front end is shot and so is the Steering box ( my is a power steering box) I don’t doubt the tie rods or any other joint but I’m a little skeptical about the fact that the steering box is also “shot”  so can some shed some light on how can I check for a bad steering box? Thank you 

I,d ask them to define shot. I might also ask if they can repair or replace it. If the defination of shot is things like loose, tight, noisy etc etc , but they can fix it i would be very skeptical.....bob

• Like 2

The steering gearbox and steering shaft (that runs through the steering column) have to come out as an assembly on these cars. Not exactly a simple job.

I can't remember if the 1955 still used kingpins or if it had ball joints.

You need a 1955 Oldsmobile factory Chassis Service Manual. It will have all the service procedures and specifications, as well as how to test and adjust the steering gearbox.

• Like 1

Would also ask if they're capable of repairing a front end like the 55 Olds. In other words, can they walk the walk after talking the talk.

Since it still has kingpins, you might need to talk with a repair shop that does medium to heavy truck front end work. They'd know more about reaming and fitting kingpins than any modern car-focused shop.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2023 at 4:47 PM, rocketraider said:

Would also ask if they're capable of repairing a front end like the 55 Olds. In other words, can they walk the walk after talking the talk.

Since it still has kingpins, you might need to talk with a repair shop that does medium to heavy truck front end work. They'd know more about reaming and fitting kingpins than any modern car-focused shop.

I was told that the king pins are good, steering and all connecting parts are loose 

On 12/24/2023 at 10:59 PM, The 55er said:

1955 Oldsmobiles still had kingpins, no ball joints until 1957. How many miles on the car? I'd ask them to show me exactly what parts are worn. 

Since the car was parked outside already they just told me what was wrong and for me to get the parts, all “front end parts, including the steering gear box” the only thing I notice when I drive is that the steering is about 10 degrees to right and drives perfectly straight and no wobbling or constant correction and my right wheel top part of the tire is in a little compared to the left 

On 12/24/2023 at 9:48 PM, rocketraider said:

The steering gearbox and steering shaft (that runs through the steering column) have to come out as an assembly on these cars. Not exactly a simple job.

I can't remember if the 1955 still used kingpins or if it had ball joints.

You need a 1955 Oldsmobile factory Chassis Service Manual. It will have all the service procedures and specifications, as well as how to test and adjust the steering gearbox.

Thank you, It’s king pins