1913 American-LaFrance bell ringing technology and information needed

alsfarms

I know that this is a tech forum for mostly automobile related question, but I am hoping that someone here may have good information relating to the mechanics of bell ringing. I have seen a few pictures where the bell is stationary and the gong is manipulated by a rider.  I have also seen and I prefer the bell to be mounted in a cradle that is moved by a lever arm moved by a pull rope actuated by a rider pulling a rope. I have studied Google information and there is a bunch. It appears that several parameters must be met in order to maximize the bell ringing and tone.  I am hoping for some input here as Spamffa now mostly caters to newer rigs.  The Early era  Group specifically for early American-LaFrance rigs is a mostly historical chat with not much relevant information that assists with the actual restoration of early trucks.  If all else fails, I will learn by trial and error until I get this bell thing functioning and ringing as it should be.

Al

If you can produce a photo of the moving bell set-up, please show us. I have a 1928 Ford/Howe triple combination with the correct bell and removed the incorrect LaFrance bell from the truck some time ago. Niether bell is a 'moving bell' version, but both are 'moving clapper'. The 'moving bell'

set-ups are usually not intended for firetrucks but are used for parks and libraries. Also, I must agree with your observation that SPAAMFAA caters mostly to post WWII rigs.

Frank

Check with the North Charleston Fire Museum . northcharlestonfiremuseum.org When ALF went under, the city of North Charleston, SC took over the ALF museum. I looked through photos I took at the museum and the only clear picture of a bell was this Model T. IMG_0006.JPG.fcbdf94f528ab2d1f0ccca69494333f4.JPGThe bells I remember were the moving clapper type.

Don

• Like 2

Hello Alan, in my experience the cradle mount - where the bell swings and the clapper is free, works great for slow steady cadence with an even tone -  I.e. the methodical ringing of a locomotive bell. 

The hand clapper swung by rope can be methodical and measured or frantic to suit the situation - I.e. Fire truck. 

I would imagine there is probably a point where the bell is too big to be effectively rung with a hand clapper. 

• Like 1

Hello Don and thanks for your response and reference to the North Charleston Fire museum. I have already been in touch with that museum curator, Max. He was most helpful to share information, pictures and measurements taken from their Reading Pa early flat fendered American-LaFrance rig. That tendered help will help me to build correct flat front fenders for my 1913 rig. More on this bell situation as I determine what to do.

Al

• Like 1