For Sale: 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible, 78K miles - $12,000 - Yakima, WA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible, 78K miles - $12,000 - Yakima, WA

1984 cadillac eldorado convertible for sale by owner - Yakima, WA - craigslist
Seller's Description:

Immaculant 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible, new paint 3 years ago all original interior. The engine was rebuilt 3 years ago also never seen rain new top three years ago as well. Will consider trades.
Copy and paste in your email: 0b2d107493f3333d8d0938cc83dd224a@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible.

'84 cadillac eldorado conv WA a.jpg

'84 cadillac eldorado conv WA b.jpg

'84 cadillac eldorado conv WA c.jpg

'84 cadillac eldorado conv WA d.jpg

'84 cadillac eldorado conv WA e.jpg

'84 cadillac eldorado conv WA f.jpg

'84 cadillac eldorado conv WA g.jpg

'84 cadillac eldorado conv WA h.jpg

'84 cadillac eldorado conv WA i.jpg

'84 cadillac eldorado conv WA j.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

My father had an '84 and drove the wheels off of it AFTER my brother rebuilt the HT4100.  Once the engine was done it was generally reliable with only typical age/wear issues.

I understand, but it is not worth the risk.  We just don't have any idea what we are buying from 1982 to 1985.  I am a Cadillac LaSalle Club member and the HT4100 is often discussed.  Even if it was reliable - it was underpowered for it's purpose. 

Owners talk of the transmission "hunting" for a gear as the HT4100 screams going onto a freeway on ramp trying to hit 65 mph, with a semi bearing down on them at the pinch point.  Yes, that story has been relayed many times.  In 1982-85, Americans still drove fast but not as fast as today, so this issue is even worse. 

Once you get to 70, a HT4100 equipped Cadillac eases into overdrive, then maybe you are OK, put the cruise on and go, but acceleration was very scary.  

The bigger V8s from 1979 to 1981 are fine.  I believe Eldorado used the Oldsmobile 350 in 1979 and the reduced to 368 Cadillac 500-425-368 family in 1980-1981.  Disabling the 8-6-4 microcomputer for 1981 is fairly simple.  Plus stouter transmissions. 

I used to comb salvage yards a lot as a hobby 15 years go (age 45).  I can't tell you how many 82-85 Eldorados with low mileage, perfect (I mean PERFECT) interiors and bodies were in there.  Hundreds!   I always thought it would make sense to pull interior parts from the cars I was seeing, stock pile them for "restoration sales".  

But few if any restore these cars, from 1979 to 1985.  You still see 79-81 Eldorados for sale on FB marketplace, but not like the old Craigslist days 10 years ago, when, using a national search engine, a person could find 50 cars within 50 miles for reasonable prices.  

Now, these cars have aged out.  I did a recent search and found 4, 2 of which were overpriced junk - again, only 79-81, (NEVER 82-85).  IF you have the resources and find an 82-85 you just have to have, then source and rebuild a 350 and put it in the there.  But remember, transmissions went to a less robust style in 1982 as well.   

Just NOT worth the risk.  79-81 only, in my opinion. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

My point was that aside from the engine, the car was no worse than its contemporaries.  Personally, I'd opt for the similar Riviera or Toronado with the Olds 307 V8.  They were not powerful by any stretch, but they were smooth and reliable.  My father bought his knowing the engine was shot, so the purchase price reflected that.