1925 engine upgrades

Mrfixit48

I am seeking information on upgrading the engine internals during the rebuild process on a 1925 model 11A engine.  I know there are substitue parts to allow for the use of bearing shells in place of the poured babbit of the era.  I would like to know where to find this information and any other modifications that may need to be done to the engine block or crankshaft during the upgrade process.  Thank you all for your help.

Geoff Rogers

Higher compression pistons will make better use of modern gas and give more power. Contact Club member Tom at Odyssey Restorations, or Ross Pistons, which is what I use.

The fan and clutch disc hubs should have the original rubberized flexible fabric centers replaced so you don't get engine vibration from the fan going out of balance or get stranded somewhere when the original fabric center of the clutch disc tears loose. I rebuild both of those. See my ad in the Franklin Club's website's For Sale section, in Parts - Services. 

Swap in a clockwise rotation Chevy Delco Remy distributor and you get away from the potmetal warping/cracking problems of the original distributor (takes some work and know-how). Another advantage is, at any Autoparts store you can buy new 1950 Chevy 6 cyl. cap, rotor, points, and condenser for a small fraction of what the original NOS parts would cost, if you can even find them anymore.   

Paul

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 3:51 PM, Mrfixit48 said:

I am seeking information on upgrading the engine internals during the rebuild process on a 1925 model 11A engine.  I know there are substitue parts to allow for the use of bearing shells in place of the poured babbit of the era.  I would like to know where to find this information and any other modifications that may need to be done to the engine block or crankshaft during the upgrade process.  Thank you all for your help.

Geoff Rogers

No 4 main will burn out no. 3 rod.  Put in a bronze backed bearing in place of no. 4 main.  That will do you well.