Motor Trend TV

Willy

20 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Reality TV rots your brain. 

Whether it's about "Cardashians", "Real T***s of Beverly or Hershey Hills", "Pimp/Restore and/or Auction Off Your Ride In a Week or Less", etc, ...

20 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

None of them are worth watching if you want to learn something about fixing cars. They're all ridiculous.

I agree.

2 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I did try watching a couple of these car shows in a hotel room once. In less than 5 minutes I switched off they were so stupid.

I too have only seen few brief moments of some car related "TV shows" over the years, but found all an embarrassment to my hobby, passion & profession (Thanks again "Boomers").

I also cringe and feel embarrassment whenever I mention my hobby, passion & profession to someone who immediately replies with something like "Oh, like those shows on TV ?" (I just want to scream "Hell, no !!!)

And mind you I was offered my own "TV show" (about my shop & work) over 20 years ago, long before they became "popular", but out of self-respect (and that to my profession) I promptly declined and don't regret the decision at all, especially hearing & seeing what utter nonsense they've all become now.

OTOH, I guess it's as the saying goes "To each his/her own" or something like that.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Phantom Works lost me when they decided that the best way to restore a perfectly good 56 T-Bird was to take the body off and put it on the chassis and drive train of one of the Holden Pontiac GTOs. I’m surprised Dan didn’t figure out a way to strap a jet pack on the back to really give it some more juice.

I have liked Wheeler Dealers because they do get into some of the intricacies of what they are doing and there is usually something there to learn. The Guild is also worth watching, along with Chasing Classic Cars.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

52 minutes ago, 1957Birdman said:

Phantom Works lost me when they decided that the best way to restore a perfectly good 56 T-Bird was to take the body off and put it on the chassis and drive train of one of the Holden Pontiac GTOs. I’m surprised Dan didn’t figure out a way to strap a jet pack on the back to really give it some more juice.

Yeah, not impressed when someone takes a good car with good frame and original drive train and then turns around to stuff a modern LS or coyote engine route into what wasn't originally designed for. Take a roached out junker for those types of projects as now you have gone over to "resto-mods" side of business.

But keep in mind once you are need deep into a project and the customer decides they want "more", it now becomes a game of wills.. I suspect the T bird episode you are referring to was the customer insisted on more after the project started.. As the saying goes, "the customer is always right".. Not defending the action, just saying that there are lots of information and video left out of the programs as many of those builds are over months to years depending on complexity..

Today's broadcast standards, they only run 20 minutes of show per half hr or 40 minutes per hr, used be 22-23 minutes per half hr and 44-46 minutes per hr.. Yep, you get 10 minutes of commercials per half hr and 20 minutes of commercials per hr..

9 hours ago, TTR said:

..... I was offered my own "TV show" (about my shop & work) over 20 years ago, long before they became "popular", but out of self-respect (and that to my profession) I promptly declined and don't regret the decision at all, especially hearing & seeing what utter nonsense they've all become now.

I was too along with a colleague though not car related. We were in full agreement that if what they wanted was idiotic drama, yelling, swearing and childish behavior, they had come to the wrong place.