FS Not mine. 1927 Pierce Arrow

Not mine. For Sale. I saw this on Hemmings and drooled over it … until I saw the missing head and missing instruments.  The engine compartment picture almost made me cry.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1927-pierce-arrow-80-morgantown-pa-2751282

How could someone lose a head?  Still..what a neat car!Screenshot2023-12-07at10_23_09PM.png.5ae5054da1d6303bc60acc500243e3cc.png

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1927-pierce-arrow-80-morgantown-pa-2751282

I’m a Pierce guy. To be honest, I look at this car and with the effort and $$$ it’d take to get it sorted and on the road, you could have an awesome Pierce, turnkey, for a fraction of the dollars, and mental investment. 

Me? If the car was $2200 dollars, that’d be too much. 

• Like 2

On 12/7/2023 at 7:35 PM, pmhowe said:

How could someone lose a head?  Still..what a neat car!

Easy. The series 80/81 Pierce Arrows, some of them had a "good" head, and some of them had a "bad" head. I don't offhand recall which parts of which series had the good ones or the bad ones. But there are a lot of nice series 80/81 cars hiding in garages because they have a "bad" head, and "good" heads are tough to find and get. 

So, either the car had a bad head, and a previous owner removed the head planning to replace it, or trying to get it repaired? He may have taken the head to som shops, not liking the quotes or lack of guarantees for the repair? And somewhere in the process either the PO or a shop lost the head or scrapped it for nonpayment of the charges?

Or, the car had a good head? And someone, maybe the same owner, maybe a friend, had a nicer car in a more desirable body style that they couldn't drive because that head was bad. "Hey. I have an idea, lets take the good head off this car, and get the nicer car running, and we'll replace this head later?" But it never got replaced.

This car makes me sad. It reminds me of the 1925 series 80 sedan I had to sell about thirty years ago. Only mine was in MUCH nicer condition, and had a good head. It was one of my favorite of all the cars I have ever had. I enjoyed driving it on tours as much as any car I ever had!

Even if I had the money to throw away, I wouldn't buy this one for half the asking price.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JFranklin said:

Since it is a flat head, couldn't a good fab shop cnc mill a new head from an aluminum billet?

Internal coolant passages favor the casting method. Although, have seen heads designed and machined in sections to include machined coolant passages then bolted together. 

• Thanks 1