1951 Buick Super Sedanet

Centurion

1951 marked the final year that Buick offered the Sedanet body style, and these cars were offered only in the Super series.  (I believe that these were originally intended to be part of the "Custom Special" series seen in some of the original sales literature, but that series never materialized.)  

Production of this model was very low -- 1,500 or 1,510, depending on the source.

These cars are very rarely seen, but very interesting and -- in my view -- highly desirable.  This model marked the only time that Buick applied the sweepspear side trim to the "Jetback" body style.  What a stunning design!  (Yes, there is a well-known '50 Roadmaster Sedanet with sweepspear trim, but Buick did not build it that way.)

This car appears to be in nice condition, although certainly not perfect.  The price seems realistic at $19,900, but I have not tracked values for the '50 and '51 Sedanets.

The car is offered by a dealer and currently listed on Hemmings online:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1951-buick-super-costa-mesa-ca-2746942

Wish I could buy it!

51-1.jpg

51-2.1.jpg

51-2.jpg

51-3.jpg

51-4.5.jpg

51-4.jpg

51-5.jpg

51-6.jpg

51-7.5.jpg

51-7.6.jpg

51-7.jpg

51-8.jpg

51-9.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Early 1951 brochure shows this model as part of the still-born Custom Special series, which appeared to utilize the 1950 Special style body (from the cowl back) rather than the new '51 Special body (a B-Body shared with Oldsmobile).  This early brochure also depicts the fender top parking and turn signal lamps, which were not utilized in final '51 production form.

Custom Special.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)
  • Like 1