Frontenac Auto built 1906-1913

Kathi,<P>I can't provide much information on the Frontenac. I do have some information on Frontenacs being used in the Indianapolis 500, however the years they were used in the race are after the end of production according to the production dates you give. <P><BR>1916 - 2 Frontenacs entered in Indianapolis 500<P>Car No.:7 <BR>Driver:Arthur Chevrolet<BR>Starting place: 11<BR>Failed to complete race due to magneto problem.<P>Car: 8<BR>Driver: Louis Chevrolet<BR>Starting place: 12<BR>Failed to complete race due to rod problem.<P>--------------------------------------------<BR>1919 - 4 Frontenacs entered in Indianapolis 500<P>Car: 2<BR>Driver: Ralph Mulford<BR>Starting place: 15<BR>Failed to complete race due to driveshaft problem.<P>Car: 39<BR>Driver: Joe Boyert<BR>Starting place: 14<BR>Failed to complete race due to rear axle problem<P>Car: 41<BR>Driver: Gaston Chevrolet<BR>Starting place: 16<BR>Finishing place: 10<BR>Prize money won: $1400.00<P>Car: 7<BR>Driver: Louis Chevrolet<BR>Starting place: 12<BR>Finishing place: 7<BR>Prize Money won: $1800.00<P>--------------------------------------------<BR>Tommy Milton drove a Frontenac prepared by Louis Chevrolet in the 1921 Indianapolis 500.

According to the Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942, where there is a brief history and some graphics, they were "big impressive machines with four-cylinder 45 hp engines". About a dozen were made in 1906, maybe 100 in 1907, and production dwindled after that. You might try the AACA Library for more info (see homepage for this site for library request procedure).

The Frontenacs that are mentioned above by Louis and Arthur Chevrolet were reworked Model T fords. The Chevrolet Bros. made speed equipment including the Frontenac overhead valve set-up and also the Frontenac Ford Engine. The overhead valve head was available in three flavors for the 8 valve model including the "T" (Touring), "S" (Speedster), and "R" (Racing). The T was for everyday use on regular cars and light trucks, the S was for those who wanted slightly more power, and the R for the racing circuit. The R head came standard with twin stromberg updraft carburetors for that extra punch. They even had a twin overhead cam version that qulified at Indy at 88 miles per hour in 1923. An you guys thought Fords were dull..... Of course, this has nothing to do with the original question regarding the earlier Frontenac Cars.

• 19 years later...

I would like to bump this thread. I am doing some research on the Abendroth & Roots Mfg. Co. of Newburgh, NY and am trying to compile as much information as I can regarding their Frontenac car manufacturing. If you know anything let me know. 

Also this brand is unrelated to the Frontenac Motor Corporation founded by Louis Chevrolet and his brothers.