Question about glove box light on 48 DeSoto?

marcapra

I just got my new glove box for my 48 DeSoto.  I don't remember if my original glove box was in poor condition, since I dismantled the car in the 80s.  The other thing is I don't remember if it had a light, but the wiring diagram does show a light.  I also have a light that looks like I tore it out of the original glove box, but I'm not sure how or where to put it in.  It has the light bulb with a tube going out.  What is that tube meant to illuminate?  Does the tube go inside the box or point to the clock.  The clock has its own light, but maybe it has another?  

370207191_199249956586465_2631676935951098070_n.jpg

398264960_640194668051460_1759185537649933971_n.jpg

398290508_1086204549391216_4295209538088979451_n.jpg

clocklight.jpg

398435660_7612134152135443_4693174950780566185_n.jpg

Someone sent me pic of his beat up glove box with the light still on.  After looking at my dashboard again I see that there's no way the tube light could be a back light for the clock. The back of the clock is solid metal and light can't shine through that! The clock has its own internal light bulb.  The bulb is located where the light fixture attaches to the glove box, so it lights up the glove box and aims the light down through the tube.  Since it looks like the tube is pointing down, my theory is that the tube light lights up the passenger floor to make is easier for the passenger to get in.  Maybe someone with a Mopar of this vintage can open his passenger door to see if the floor lights up?  

deslight.jpg

My 46-50 DeSoto shop manual says that the glove box light is special equipment.  The Chrysler and DeSoto shop manuals show this light, but not the D-24 Dodge shop manual.  My 1950 Dodge owner's manual mentions the glove box light as being extra cost equipment that turns on when you open the door.  I assume they mean the passenger door, as there is no automatic switch on the driver door of my 48 DeSoto, but there is a pillar switch to the rear of the driver door.  I assume this switch turns on the dome light, map light, and glove box/ floor light.  

On 11/26/2023 at 1:49 PM, marcapra said:

The bulb is located where the light fixture attaches to the glove box, so it lights up the glove box and aims the light down through the tube.  Since it looks like the tube is pointing down, my theory is that the tube light lights up the passenger floor to make is easier for the passenger to get in.  Maybe someone with a Mopar of this vintage can open his passenger door to see if the floor lights up?  

deslight.jpg

OK, my theory that the tube connected to the glove box is supposed to light up the passenger floor is wrong.  Can anyone guess what it's supposed to light up?  I know now, but just want to see if anyone can answer that question.  

I found out by reading the S-11 Parts List that the tube light is supposed to light up the interior of the ash tray when you open it.  Makes sense as back when most people smoked, you would want to know if the ash tray was full when you were smoking at night.  

• Like 2

Well the glove box light is powered by the instrument light switch which is powered by the main light switch.  And the automatic door switch on the passenger door jamb turns on the map light and dome light.  The driver side has a light switch on the pillar behind the front door.  As you can see in the pic above, the glove box light is riveted to the glove box, so I am going to have to drill out the rivets and fasten it to the box with small nuts and bolts.  

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)
  • Like 2