Won't shift into gear after 216 235 Chevy engine swap

crazycars

I replaced the tired 216 engine in my 1951 Chevy with a later 50's 235 engine. I used my original bell housing, flywheel, pressure plate and throw out bearing, and original linkages,  All seemed to go well but now I can't shift into gear. I adjusted the clutch linkage for max length but still not enough. tHERE IS AT LEAST A COUPLE OF INCHES FREE PLAY, TOO.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?

2 hours ago, crazycars said:

I used my original bell housing, flywheel, pressure plate and throw out bearing, and original linkages,

You didn't change anything. Oldtech is not wrong, but since you are using all the original parts I don't see how you could need a longer linkage.

If I am reading this right, the only thing new here is the crank flange on the 235. I don't think that is at a different height. Even if it was at a different height, you would typically correct that at the throw out bearing or fork pivot, not the linkage. If you just extended the linkage the fork would be at a different angle, probably causing bad or at least sub-optimal clutch action.

Could the clutch disc be in upside down?

• Like 1

I made the same swap and had the same problem. The fix was to slightly bend the fork towards the clutch. Forget where the difference was but that was the fix. Heat the shank to red and bend. Didn,t take much. I was afraid to do it but going on 25 years now with no problems....bob

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

I made the same swap and had the same problem. The fix was to slightly bend the fork towards the clutch. Forget where the difference was but that was the fix. Heat the shank to red and bend. Didn,t take much. I was afraid to do it but going on 25 years now with no problems....bob

I suspect the 235 fork is slightly different. I didn,t have one so i modified, bent, my 216.....

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Crazycars

Did you heat bend your clutch fork as Bob described?  If so, how much did you bend it.  I have a 1940 Chevrolet Special Deluxe Business Coupe and I just swapped out my 216 for a 1958 235.  I used the 1940 bell housing so I could continue to use the 1940 transmission.  I installed a new 10” clutch plate, housing and throwout bearing.  I am unable to get the transmission into gear.  I am using the 235 clutch fork. I added two washers under the ball stud but that did not gain me enough to get the transmission into gear.  Any help would definitely be appreciated. Thanks Tom