67 Riviera main seals leaking.

Deadpurpledog

Excessive main bearing wear can and is usually the cause of the leak………if you pull the engine, check the bearings………of course, it can open up a big can of worms. Go slow, drive the car for a year. Tearing it apart is easy, getting it back together is not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just some food for thought. For rear mains. Do not use a rope seal. Use a Viton seal. I deal mainly with Pontiac and there are two types of Viton seals for Pontiac one is the split type, and the other is single piece type. I'm not sure about Buick but if they have the single type I would use that one. The single type requires the crank to come out.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Mr Purple…….challenge is today people are busy, and assembly is usually ten hours for every one hour of disassembly. If the mains are worn, you can bet the rest of the engine is tired. Resealing an old engine often just makes the blow by push out a gasket in a new spot. There is no free lunch. If you leak is small, just drive the car and enjoy it. I was encouraging you to use the car for a while before jumping in with two feet to take it apart. 

• Like 3

Maybe try a one of the motor oils formulated for 'high-mileage' engines first.  I have no experience with them, but it could stop, or slow your leaks and delay the day when you need to make permanent repairs.  My Riviera has a couple of leaks, but I have a piece of cardboard on the floor and I check the oil to keep tabs on the level.  It only loses maybe a quart during the driving season (500 ~ 1000 miles).  Check the valve cover gaskets - mine were leaking at the rear (by the bellhousing) and oil running down the back of the block can mimic a rear main seal leak.