1929 wood steering wheel, how to finish

Floyd J

The ones I have made new rims for just recently have been coated with Tung oil. Reason for this is any scratches from a ring wearer etc just need a rub with more oil rather than a strip and refinish. It "dries" so it is not slippery as I thought an oil coating would be. and it gives that satin sheen.

Steve

Floyd,

It appears to have the original wood.  So, I suggest you remove the dark stains before final finishing.  

Oxalic Acid Crystals (purchased at a local hardware store) will remove the dark stains without changing the natural color of the wood.  Dilute the crystals in hot water brush it onto the wood and let is sit for a few hours or overnight as needed.  Neutralize the acid with a solution of baking soda, rinse and let it dry before applying the finish.  It worked perfect for my badly stained original Buick steering wheel.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Floyd,

It appears to have the original wood.  So, I suggest you remove the dark stains before final finishing.  

Oxalic Acid Crystals (purchased at a local hardware store) will remove the dark stains without changing the natural color of the wood.  Dilute the crystals in hot water brush it onto the wood and let is sit for a few hours or overnight as needed.  Neutralize the acid with a solution of baking soda, rinse and let it dry before applying the finish.  It worked perfect for my badly stained original Buick steering wheel.

Do you have any photos of your steering wheel for your 29