54 Chrysler Power Steering hose

ah65

I need the pressure hose for the power steering, tank on the back of the generator.

Does anyone know what the fittings are?  Went to the hydraulic shop and hard to match up.

Male fitting on tank seems like metric and they tried everything, seems odd it would be.

May try to use the old fittings, what have others done?

Thanks, Joe

This is general advice, not specific to 54 Chrysler.

13 minutes ago, ah65 said:

May try to use the old fittings, what have others done?

I have found that many power steering fittings are special. I would get the hydraulic shop to use the old fittings. Back in my auto repair days, I used to do that a lot in cases where a hose wasn't available, or where the aftermarket supplied a multi-application hose that didn't fit right. The quality was better than factory. I believe they used some sort of a ferrule to attach to the tubing section of the old fitting. This was not a plumbing ferrule, something different. That did not sound confidence inspiring the first time I had it done, but I had a bunch of them done subsequently and they never leaked. I own a 70 Mercury that was my father's car. The power steering hoses were remade by a hydraulic shop in Seattle in 1992 using the old fittings. To this day they have not even seeped a little like factory hoses often do. There is dry road dust all over them.

16 hours ago, ah65 said:

Thanks for your response.  They were going to try the old fittings, left it with them over night.

The fitting at the tank is some odd size and I could not find a wrench to fit well.

Metric crescent wrench ?  LOL

Best of luck with those hoses.

• Like 1

i own a 54 with power steering and i have wondered how long the pressure hose will last before it starts leaking. if it does i now know to use the original fittings. had a similiar problem with the fuel tank fitting on a 53 imperial. nothing normal would work. i forget how i fixed it but it took some unusual pieces put together to get the job done. convertible top motor brushes? don't even ask. anyway, keep us in the loop on this as i will be intersted in the final product.   dennis

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chry54 said:

i own a 54 with power steering and i have wondered how long the pressure hose will last before it starts leaking. if it does i now know to use the original fittings. had a similiar problem with the fuel tank fitting on a 53 imperial. nothing normal would work. i forget how i fixed it but it took some unusual pieces put together to get the job done. convertible top motor brushes? don't even ask. anyway, keep us in the loop on this as i will be intersted in the final product.   dennis

Been there on that tank fitting.

I seem to recall that I found them for sale somewhere on the WWW.

• 4 weeks later...

ah65   what model 54 do you have?  i have a 54 windsor convertible. mostly original. not many of these are collected in this hobby. i am always the only one at shows. few people even recognize what kind of car it is. i have some knowledge of these cars and some parts. my email is   captdennis29@gmail.com.     dennis