electric fuel pump 69 v.w.

Buick35

It should definitely stop when the fuel bowls are full. As a safety measure you should have a shutoff switch somewhere in easy reach of the driver. VWs are patsies for engine fires, if a fuel line fails you can spray gas all over a hot engine and BOOM!.

Be sure you don't have a pump made for fuel injection, it will put out enough pressure to overpower any float bowl.

I wouldn't have an electric fuel pump on a VW like yours. There is nothing wrong with the stock pump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If this is a VW we discussed before with dual Kadrons I have a second thought. The electric pump should be ok if it is the correct, low pressure type and if you have a shutoff within easy reach of the driver.  Kadrons have a reputation for catching fire and a fuel shutoff is a good thing to have. As I said before the usual cause is a fuel line failure, be sure you have the best fuel lines and clamps and no mistakes about it.

Thanks,I disconnected the lines going into the carburetors and the right carb.was barely dripping fuel into it and the left carb.was worse.It runs good off of a remote gas can with the manual pump.I can't diagnose the electric pump because of a malfunction in the air ride system.It spring an air leak and the car's on the ground and I'm unable to raise it up,too low for a Jack to fit.Always something!

I got under the car enough today to remove the electric pump and tested from a gas can and battery charger and it didn't work so I exchanged it for another one which I tested before I installed it and it works! Only question I have is on the gas hose going from the bottom of the tank to the pump I unhooked it from the old pump and no gas ran out.There is some gas in the tank,probably less than a gallon. Shouldn't it run out? I hope the new pump will have enough suction to pull the gas through it.My tank is vented.The fitting in the bottom of the tank makes a 45 degree bend and then goes down to the pump.I don't know, wish me luck.Thanks,Greg.