High performance overhead valve technology

alsfarms

Hello Mark, Thanks for tying the old post to this current question of mine. I am checking for any new information/parts that may have floated to the surface in they year 2023. I am guessing that no Dodge Brother has attempted to use an adapter plate and install a more common, affordable and available OHV tractor head (Case) on one of our early DB engines?

Al

Rich Fox put a '57? ford ohv head on a slow four DB for Bonneville racing. He set a record for class and the engine is now at Speedy Bill's museum in Lincoln, Neb. A Recardo head is simply a redesigned flathead with a better combustion chamber. I have one. Roof, and Morten and Brett both built OHV heads way back. There could be more. If you want a modern head talk to the Montana Dodge Boys. They have gone about 160 with a fast four at Bonneville. There is more to it then just swapping heads.

• Like 1

There is always more to a head conversion than just bolting/adapting the head to the block. I spent time on an antique automobile tour where a Model T Speedster was running an overhead conversion. This particular conversion was an 8 valve Fronty. It was not a race engine but it certainly gave better performance that a stock Model T. That touring experience awoke my interest in doing something based on a Dodge Bros. Four cylinder engine.  It absolutely IS NOT my interest to build a Bonneville Salt Flats competition engine, but just potentially a 40-50 HP version of the early DB four cylinder for street driving and touring. Yes, I could be dreaming, but maybe not. I would like to know which Ford V8 head was used in the referenced DB engine. I will try to touch base and see if any information can be shared on that subject from the supplied reference above. Does anyone else have experience with DB speed equipment?

Al

9 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

If I am not wrong, the pre "Fast four" engines out out about 30-35 HP? The stock Model T put out about 20-25 HP? The stock Fast Four put out 35-40 HP? A Model A put out 35-40 HP?

Al

T was a little less than 20, but otherwise those number look about right.