1934 Chrysler Water Pump Removal + Fan Clearance

57Classic

Hello again. I’m having a few problems with the car. For one, the radiator doesn’t clear the fan blades. (I’m pretty certain the radiator is for a later Chrysler, maybe a ‘35 or ‘36.) The one in it now has side braces that lead to nowhere on this car. Is it a better plan to try and source an original radiator? Also, I need to get the water pump off. Is it a good idea to use a puller to get the pulley off? There’s not much info in the shop manual. There’s a photo of the water pump (and damage) below. 

IMG_4384.jpeg

I am not familiar with the Airflow, but for other applications the pulley (or on later water pumps a flange that holds the pulley) is actually pressed on to the shaft. Then the pulley and shaft are drilled and the pin driven in to make sure nothing comes loose. Point being that even if you could drive that pin out, you will probably need to put that water pump on to a bench press to get the pulley off.

Way, way back when I had access to a machine shop with a fellow who was a good machinist and we went through the whole process of rebuilding one of these. Nowadays, without access to a full machine shop and machinist to help me I send the whole unit, including the pulley, off to a reputable rebuilder..

To remove the water pump itself, you should just be able to remove the nuts from the studs holding it to the block.

11 hours ago, ply33 said:

To remove the water pump itself, you should just be able to remove the nuts from the studs holding it to the block.

Thanks for the advice! But I wish I could, the nuts at the bottom are impossible to access without taking the pulley off. I tried with a small wrench, but there’s no clearance. I don’t have any s wrenches to try, but I don’t think that will help either. 

5 hours ago, 57Classic said:

I don’t have any s wrenches to try

This is where you need to have the junk tool to bend and grind to fit.

I have several "special tools" that I rarely if ever use and can't be used for any normal application anymore.

I don’t recall the shaft being terrible, but corrosion in the block isn’t good. It’s not the worst either. I’m trying to search for a water pump rebuild kit, but to no avail. If anybody has a Chrysler Airflow water pump, do let me know! (I think they are the same across production from ‘34-‘37, but Airstream pumps are different.)